• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driveway washout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

washedoutdrive

What is the name of your state?Ohio. Here's my problem my neighbors newest boyfriend wants to come in and put in a water drainage and re-do our driveway, the problem is when we bought our land we signed an agreement with two other families to maintain the driveway which is appr. 600 ft. The contract states that there should be 3 estimates made in writing and agreed upon by all 3 families before any work can be done. Well her boyfriend has access to the equipment and has only came to us for money to re-constuct the drive but has not given us a price . Our driveway splits at around 300 ft and the drive they use has deep rutts in it but our drive is fine . Her boyfriend claims the problem is from where another family that built their house and barn in front of our house is causing all the damage when we have a hard rain. He wants our neighbor in front to pay even though they were not in the original agreement. I am friends with the neighbors in front and have used their barn and don't mind them using the driveway to get to the barn. We asked the boyfriend to write up an estimate and distribute them. But the boyfriend has not complied but did contact the county engineers office on how to do the work. And in case I didn't specify this we own the driveway 100ft wide for the full length of the driveway in question. And to make it worse her boyfriends are the ones destroying the driveway driving fast and throwing beer bottles on our property.

BelizeBreeze

If you own the driveway do the other families have an easement. And what does your 'agreement' actually say as to maintenance?

If it is exactly as you posted here, that three estimates are to be received and approval of all families are to be gained, then tell boyfriend no. You will follow the agreement in place and get three estimates.

And his can be one of them if he so pleases.

W

washedoutdrive

driveway

They only have rights to enter and exit their property. As far as maintanance it states snow removal, grass cutting, gravel, the removal of obstructions, over hangs and ditch maintanance. Realitive to the expence for maint.repair and upkeep of common access of driveway each respective lot shall share expenses as listed 33 1/3. We have been the only ones doing any grass cutting or maintanance to the driveway. We spent over $600.00 on gravel last year on the driveway.

HomeGuru

washedoutdrive said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio. Here's my problem my neighbors newest boyfriend wants to come in and put in a water drainage and re-do our driveway, the problem is when we bought our land we signed an agreement with two other families to maintain the driveway which is appr. 600 ft. The contract states that there should be 3 estimates made in writing and agreed upon by all 3 families before any work can be done. Well her boyfriend has access to the equipment and has only came to us for money to re-constuct the drive but has not given us a price . Our driveway splits at around 300 ft and the drive they use has deep rutts in it but our drive is fine . Her boyfriend claims the problem is from where another family that built their house and barn in front of our house is causing all the damage when we have a hard rain. He wants our neighbor in front to pay even though they were not in the original agreement. I am friends with the neighbors in front and have used their barn and don't mind them using the driveway to get to the barn. We asked the boyfriend to write up an estimate and distribute them. But the boyfriend has not complied but did contact the county engineers office on how to do the work. And in case I didn't specify this we own the driveway 100ft wide for the full length of the driveway in question. And to make it worse her boyfriends are the ones destroying the driveway driving fast and throwing beer bottles on our property.
**A: thanks for writing.

nextwife

You have no obligation to hire ANYONE, much less anyone who refuses to quote a cost to you. Tell him, if his GF WANTS to pay for it, you will approve it if she puts up the money in advance, but if YOU are paying, you expect a written proposal just like any other contractor would provide AND references.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">