• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

parking

I'm from BC, Canada. But I don't think this question is country-specific.

While I was getting change for the ticket machine, my mom waited in the car with the engine still on. During this time, a parking attendant wrote us a ticket. This happened within a minute of pulling into the private parking lot.

When I saw him writing a ticket, I ran back and I told him that I had gone to buy a ticket, only to realize that the machine had a sign saying that the lot was to be used by the public only after 6:00PM. It was 5:00PM. My mom couldn't stop him from writing out the ticket b/c he wrote it from behind the car where she couldn't see!

The attendant told us that I should have read the sign before entering the lot, and since I was now on private property, I couldn't contest the ticket. But normally in a parking lot, you are asked to park your car, and then pay for the ticket at the machine. How could I have known that the lot was "privatized" before 6PM without going to the machine first where the sign was posted??

He could have informed us of this instead writing out a ticket, especially since there was a driver in the car.

Do I have a case for disputing this ticket?

Thanks for your time and consideration! appreciate it

HomeGuru

parking said:
I'm from BC, Canada. But I don't think this question is country-specific.

**A: then think again.
While I was getting change for the ticket machine, my mom waited in the car with the engine still on. During this time, a parking attendant wrote us a ticket. This happened within a minute of pulling into the private parking lot.

When I saw him writing a ticket, I ran back and I told him that I had gone to buy a ticket, only to realize that the machine had a sign saying that the lot was to be used by the public only after 6:00PM. It was 5:00PM. My mom couldn't stop him from writing out the ticket b/c he wrote it from behind the car where she couldn't see!

The attendant told us that I should have read the sign before entering the lot, and since I was now on private property, I couldn't contest the ticket. But normally in a parking lot, you are asked to park your car, and then pay for the ticket at the machine. How could I have known that the lot was "privatized" before 6PM without going to the machine first where the sign was posted??

He could have informed us of this instead writing out a ticket, especially since there was a driver in the car.

Do I have a case for disputing this ticket?

Thanks for your time and consideration! appreciate it
**A: this website is for US Law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">