• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a hospital have the right to disclose info to a non family member?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Becky Manna

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I am very curious why the local VA hospital has disclosed medical information to the supposed girl friend of my late father. Is that legal? I am the only next of kin, and he only had one sister in the area. The hospital has our phone numbers, and did not contact us regarding the issues at hand. This woman was only seeing my Dad for two months, but because she works in the same hospital, they tell her very personal information. Dad died of a heart attack rather suddenly, he had no will, nor did he have many personal belongings. This woman was storing his belongings in her home( he did not live with her), and she is refusing to relinquish those belongings to My Aunt and I for no apparent reason. Is this action also legal??????

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Becky Manna said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I am very curious why the local VA hospital has disclosed medical information to the supposed girl friend of my late father. Is that legal? I am the only next of kin, and he only had one sister in the area. The hospital has our phone numbers, and did not contact us regarding the issues at hand. This woman was only seeing my Dad for two months, but because she works in the same hospital, they tell her very personal information. Dad died of a heart attack rather suddenly, he had no will, nor did he have many personal belongings. This woman was storing his belongings in her home( he did not live with her), and she is refusing to relinquish those belongings to My Aunt and I for no apparent reason. Is this action also legal??????

My response:

For all we or anyone knows, she may have represented herself to whomever as his wife, sister, aunt, or other family member. In which case, it's okay to disclose confidential information.

The hospital has no duty to run a documents check, give her a lie-detector test, blood test, or any other test to determine her familial status. They take people at face value.

Sue her for your property. Possession IS NOT 9/10ths of the law.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">