• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweet_caligirl

What is the name of your state? ca...My father I don't believe ever paid a cent for me although he abused me when I was very little and has been in and out of prison. Recently I thought maybe he still orders the support and now that my mother is gone would I be able to collect and would it be worth it to try? I called the child support dept and the case is still open but I don't know if I should open this can of worms and does he have any rights to see me or come in to contact with me since I am over 18?

tigger22472

First off your over 18 so you are considered an adult and don't have to see anyone you don't want to.

Secondly, no you can not open this case. Child support goes to the custodial parent for the help raising of the child. It is a common misconception that child support is the child's money when in fact it isn't. The fact that your mother is no longer alive does not change this fact. The fact of the matter is that it was up to her while she was living to attempt to get the CS. I say attempt because even when you try and do everything right if someone doesn't want to pay it they can sometimes get out of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">