• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wondering about child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butterfly72

What is the name of your state? Missouri/ Kansas

I have a question i am about to marry my fiancee. he and his ex girl friend had a baby and she is now 4 yrs old. the ex doesn t know that we are getting married in 2months b/c she will come to the wedding and she is not invited. my question is after we get married can she go after my money? also how do we go about getting custody the ex already said that she wants the 4yr to live with her dad but does not want to give custody.she does not see her children she has 3 by 3 different men. she sleeps all day and works at night the kids sleep at their step- grandmothers.

VeronicaGia

butterfly72 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri/ Kansas

I have a question i am about to marry my fiancee. he and his ex girl friend had a baby and she is now 4 yrs old. the ex doesn t know that we are getting married in 2months b/c she will come to the wedding and she is not invited. my question is after we get married can she go after my money? also how do we go about getting custody the ex already said that she wants the 4yr to live with her dad but does not want to give custody.she does not see her children she has 3 by 3 different men. she sleeps all day and works at night the kids sleep at their step- grandmothers.
The first thing you need to understand when marrying someone who has children is this is not your case, these are not your children, so there is no "we" about getting custody. Your soon to be husband is the only person legally involved here, and it is to your advantage to stay out of it as much as possible. That's not to say you shouldn't do research on your states laws regarding custody, visitation and support, but realize you have no standing here.

Now, no, she cannot go after you or your money. However, keep in mind that if he gets behind on support, anything that is jointly titled can be siezed or have a lien placed on it. In other words, keep your bank accounts separate and if possible, title the home solely to one person (you).

BelizeBreeze

The first thing you need to understand when marrying someone who has children is this is not your case, these are not your children, so there is no "we" about getting custody.
Surely you jest ????? :D

Boy, are you going to get cards and letters :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">