• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 Years Ago...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lucygirl2004

What is the name of your state? Ohio

First I want to say thanks to all of those who responded to my last post. Your info was helpful!
What I did was pay a service to run my name and social to find out if I have any warrants and sure enough I do. So here is my story, 12 years ago, I was picked up in one county of Ohio for non payment of child support, and I had a small amount of cocaine (pea sized amount) in my purse. (The warrant says the offence is "dangerous drugs") They questioned me about it at the time but I played dumb. I was transferred to another county jail within about 5 hours and never heard any more about it. Well, of course I have been clean now for 11 years and am just hearing about this. So I guess what has happened is they charged me with Drug possession and since they were unable to locate me, I was never notified. I have not been in hiding or nothing, I moved to Florida 10 years ago and that is where I currently live. The warrant is out of Ohio, but it must not be an extraditable charge or they would have come got me. I REALLY want to clear this up. So I have several questions.

1. Can I take care of this from out of state. Really can't afford a trip to Ohio at this time.

2. What kind of penalty do you think they hand down for this offense, will the law for this charge be based on the law 12 yrs ago or based on the current laws on drug offenses?

3. Will this show on my record as a recent drug charge or 12 year old drug charge?

4. Is there Any way I can get it removed from my record?

I obviously have a past, but have worked very had to become a law abiding citizen for the past 11 years and would really like to handle this so it doesn't haunt me the rest of my life.

Let me know if you have any questions.... AND

Thanks for all your help and advise!!

L

Lucygirl2004

No I did not think it was meaningless. I thank you for taking the time to respond. I was hoping to hear from a few other people also (the more info, the better) and thought if I posted it under both warrants and drug charges, thought I might get more exposure.

Again, thanks for your response!

CdwJava

Your record will liklely show an open case and a fugitive warrant. Any background check worthy of the name will find it.

There is one way to get it removed - handle it. This will almost certainly mean returning to Ohio to take care of the matter.

Also keep in mind that some day that protection you have due to it not being extraditable may change. States periodically get on kicks where they go after scofflaws, and that may mean they might actually have the locals pick you up and then ship you home.

Its your life. But I recommend getting an Ohio atty. to tgake care of this as much as possible.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">