• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend owes money - should i go to small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

topaz99

What is the name of your state? TX

I lent freind $3000 interest-free in 8/01 to be paid back 12/31/2003 - he was goign through divorce going back to school, hard times, thought i would help him out. Initially I sent him the check (he lives in OH) with a contract.

He stopped communicating with me in early '02 and after not getting paid, i tracked him down in january '04. He said he'd need a few months to get payment together. Long story short, he finally said he'd pay it all by 4/30/04. No payment and no response from him since 4/30.

I want to take him to small claims court (in OH?). Is this the best way to handle it? Should I speak to a lawyer first? He doesn't have much money or assets so I don't know if I can collect on a judgment. However, I have no reason to believe he will ever pay me back on his own. I was hoping he would try to settle before the court date.

I have all emails between us where he makes excuses for not paying and copies of the checks. I don't have the signed contract anymore.

BL

It would probably cost you more than what it's worth , but it's your choice. You'd file where they live.

It's an old matter, but since you have proof of communications recently, you may be able to argue you have a right to be heard because on the grounds of " date of last communication" .

If your awarded a Judgment they are valid for a period of yrs., then renewable.

If they have no assets and you see no amount of money in the future for them, you'd probably be out what you incur too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">