• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex not paying debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

venus72

What is the name of your state? NJ in my husbands divorce the debt in the marriage was split 50%-50% home foreclosure, car, med bills ect. The ex has not made any attempt to pay her share. My question is... if my husband files for bankruptcy will he have to claim all of the marital debt or just the 50% that was order by the divorce judge. The home foreclosure is $84,000 alone... the total debt at 100% is about $95,000. Any advice would help. Thank You in advance. :rolleyes:

VeronicaGia

Though a family court judge ordered the debt split, the mortgage company, credit cards, etc., don't care. If your husband signed contracts with creditors agreeing to pay the loans, in their eyes he is responsible.

Your husband needs to file a contempt action in family court and ask the judge to force her to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">