• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Feel So Desparate And Betrayed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mistykity

What is the name of your state?AL
Is it legal for my divorce attorney to take money the court has awarded me?

He has charged me over $60,000. in fees for my divorce. For some reason he thought my family had a lot of money and would pay him. They do not and cannot pay my bill.

Can I go before the judge myself and tell him what has happened to the money he has awarded me. I need the money to pay the debts my husband left me with.

Thanks,

M

mistykity

stealth2 said:
Well........... Did your lawyer do the work for you? Why should s/he NOT be paid?
With the results of my divorce I can't see where he did that much. He did things I ask him not to do that cost more money and got no results such as all day depositions. He never gave me a schedule of fees but gave me a ballpark amount and then he charged 5 times that much. We are not talking about the "big time divorce lawyer in town" either. I got no relief from the court on the debts my husband ran up.

I really want to pay my debts, I have good credit. He is leaving me no alternative but to file bankruptcy which I really do not want to do.

I do not feel it is legal for him to take money the court awarded me. Do you?

Can I go before the judge without him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">