• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and changing child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needy

What is the name of your state? I live in NJ. In the divorce paper it says that my ex is supposed to pay child support (1) daughter 6 years old 600.00 a month. He owes me back child support from last year and hardly paid this year owes between 7000-9000 $$$. His excuse is that he is divorcing his new wife has no job, but I started looking in Public record in his county where he lives and I found out he owns 4 - 5 properties and 1 commercial property which he opened a pub recently, and his wife purchased a new property this April 2004 with his last name. I have no money to get a good lawyer can I try to get a laywer and have laywer go after him for any legal fees I accrue because of his non paying of child support and also since he doesn't see his child or has any contact can I get sole child custody and still have him pay child support and can I increase child support since he now owns a pub and house properties??? I never enforced child support thru probation dept only in divorce paper he is supposed to pay me directly. I have no contact with him since he stopped answering his cell phone but he doesn't know that I found out about his properties and business. What should I do????

VeronicaGia

If the court ordered him to pay and he isn't paying, file a contempt of court action against him. You can probably go to the courthouse and get the forms, fill them out yourself and have him served.

BL

Why not get a collection Dept. involved ?

It's a chance you can take to hire a Lawyer file for Contempt and modification, and request attorney fees. Weather you will be granted attorney fees or not is up to the Judge. Why not consult an attorney for a small fee ?

N

needy

If I go thru collection dept. will this process take a long time for me to get $$$ to me or can he make arrangements with collection co to even pay 20.00 a month. I'm in need of his back pay now and he definitely can afford his $7000.00 in one lump sum.

BL

As veronica Stated You could file contempt Petition yourself.It would probably be put on the calendar within about 30 days. Once you get the summons in the mail you would have to have him served the summons by someone not a Party to the action and over 18 and that person would have to file out an affidavit of service,and you would submit it to to court .

You most likely won't get anything done anyways in less than 30 days.

The Judge might be in a bad mood on that day and sock it to him ....

N

needy

NJ can I request the courts to have our daughter's name put in his properties is she entitle to part of his business and property??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">