• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court for paying child support??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmhill2625

My ex and i got divorced back in January, but in Feb, we decided to reconcile and see what happens, but as expected, things did not work between us. Unfortunately, i got pregnant during that time period. We had agreed on an adoption because neither of us have the resources to take care of another child. But he refuses to cooperate with the adoption. Can i take him to court for financial assistance during my pregnancy? I have been struggling with trying to work 40 hours a week, pay a car pymt, cell phone, credit cards and house pymt...along with child support every month and i always seem to be short on how much i can pay out for half of daycare. He understands this and has been working with me in the past to help me but when he gets mad, he screams at me and threatens me to take me to court for 'Contempt of Court' for not paying for half of daycare to him directly. Can he do this?

BL

If it's court ordered to pay 1/ 2 and you don't yes he can file a contempt Petition.

You can not force him up front to pay for a child not yet born. You might be able to get an order for medical relief.

VeronicaGia

Do you have other children with him? Is there a valid court order for custody, visitation and child support for the other child(ren)? If so, and if you never had it modified, it is still valid. If not, you will have to get custody, visitation and child support handled by the courts.

C

cmhill2625

child care cost

ok, i understand that he can do that. But as far as the unborn child goes, since there is no evidence of the child being his, meaning his word against mine, if he does not have the paternity test done, there is no factual evidence that the child is his. How does that work with the adoption? How can he stop it from happening if theres no proof?

haiku

cmhill2625 said:
ok, i understand that he can do that. But as far as the unborn child goes, since there is no evidence of the child being his, meaning his word against mine, if he does not have the paternity test done, there is no factual evidence that the child is his. How does that work with the adoption? How can he stop it from happening if theres no proof?
he has to have proof to contest the adoption either by your mutual consent or a DNA test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">