• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatters rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rancher

I live in San Diego, CA.
My backyard and my neighbors backyards border on a school yard fence. All of my neighbors have built their fences up to the school fence thus enlarging their property. Their fences go onto school property on a "dead area" on a slope that isn't really usable by the school. Some of these fences have been up 50 years and I am pretty sure none of them have any kind of permission.
My house is on the corner lot and is the only one without a fence. I would like to build one like my neighbors have done but since my house is on the end it is more conspicuous and I don't want to get in trouble.
Plus, I would like the peace of mind to know that I have permission because I wouldn't want to have to tear the fence down.
What is the proper way to go about this and what type of permit/easement do I ask for? What is the best way to go about getting permission to do this? If you use the property for a certain number of years without contest, are there any "squatters rights" that exist? If yes, how may years do you have to occupy?
Thank you.

HomeGuru

rancher said:
I live in San Diego, CA.
My backyard and my neighbors backyards border on a school yard fence. All of my neighbors have built their fences up to the school fence thus enlarging their property. Their fences go onto school property on a "dead area" on a slope that isn't really usable by the school. Some of these fences have been up 50 years and I am pretty sure none of them have any kind of permission.
My house is on the corner lot and is the only one without a fence. I would like to build one like my neighbors have done but since my house is on the end it is more conspicuous and I don't want to get in trouble.
Plus, I would like the peace of mind to know that I have permission because I wouldn't want to have to tear the fence down.
What is the proper way to go about this and what type of permit/easement do I ask for? What is the best way to go about getting permission to do this? If you use the property for a certain number of years without contest, are there any "squatters rights" that exist? If yes, how may years do you have to occupy?
Thank you.
**A: there are no adverse posession rights to government owned property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">