• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination for exotic pets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

El Pirata

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Here I was trying to get some home owners insurance this afternoon and the insurance company said I was a higher risk because I kept boa constrictors so they would be unable to insure me. I already called my lawyer who said it was not violating any law by declining me insurance. I called the Bureau of Insurance and they said it was not against the law denying me insurance. All said I still think it is morally and ethically wrong they have discriminated against me simply for my choice of pets.

I can understand where the insurance company could be coming from if it certainly was something I would consider a dangerous pet, such as a venomous snake, a tiger or another animal but a snake that will not grow big enough to cause human casualties or injury is wrong. Tomorrow I am going to get in touch with PETA and see what they have to say.

It has really gone beyond the whole insurance issue and into an issue of my rights being violated. I'm not trying to get a few million or anything like that because I spilled hot coffee on my lap. I had something happen today that is morally and ethically wrong and I have been told that it's not against the law what happened to me. I really want to look into how I can get this kind decision overturned. Any ideas?

stephenk

Go ahead and call PETA. You obviously dont know what their agenda is about. Dont be surprised if they start picketing your house.

Do you know other people who own boas? If yes, find out who insures them.

nextwife

Snakes such as yours do on occassion escape. Watched "Animal Cops" on Animal Planet recently (they've had several pursuits of escaped pet snakes), and a neighbor's ecaped boa consumed several neighborhood pets before finally being caught. The snake expert also stated that they clearly considered the boa a threat to small children as well. It's not illegal, but requires an extremly high level of vigilance on the owners part, as the results to others can be tragic if your "pet" does get loose.

Last edited:

JETX

First, the owner of any business has the right to decide who they want to business with (as long as it is NOT in violation of the 'protected' rights, such as age, sex, disability, race, etc.).

Second, as such, their decision to exclude policy coverage to those who CHOOSE to have a snake (or alligator, or elephant) is their choice and their right. It is NOT discrimination.

Third, the decision is yours.... to NOT have a snake and get insurance.... or to have the snake and NOT get insurance (from them).

Call your local pet store or 'boa club' and ask them about insurance providers. Oh, and don't take your boa into the local McDonalds.... they might just 'discriminate' against you by ordering you to leave.

"but a snake that will not grow big enough to cause human casualties or injury is wrong."
*** Didn't you ever see that classic movie, Anaconda??? Hell, LOTS of people got killed by that snake!!! :D

HomeGuru

El Pirata said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Here I was trying to get some home owners insurance this afternoon and the insurance company said I was a higher risk because I kept boa constrictors so they would be unable to insure me. I already called my lawyer who said it was not violating any law by declining me insurance. I called the Bureau of Insurance and they said it was not against the law denying me insurance. All said I still think it is morally and ethically wrong they have discriminated against me simply for my choice of pets.

I can understand where the insurance company could be coming from if it certainly was something I would consider a dangerous pet, such as a venomous snake, a tiger or another animal but a snake that will not grow big enough to cause human casualties or injury is wrong. Tomorrow I am going to get in touch with PETA and see what they have to say.

It has really gone beyond the whole insurance issue and into an issue of my rights being violated. I'm not trying to get a few million or anything like that because I spilled hot coffee on my lap. I had something happen today that is morally and ethically wrong and I have been told that it's not against the law what happened to me. I really want to look into how I can get this kind decision overturned. Any ideas?
**A: I hear you. My insurance company will not let me keep my pet Tiger shark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">