• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

billydakid

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I run a website and I post interesting news, pictures, movies, on the website daily. My question is occassionally I will post a short 10 sec video clip from a movie. I plug the movie in the clip. I am sure I help sell tickets to the movies or sales of dvds and that is most likely why no one has bothered me however, I am curious if I am breaking some type of copyright laws by posting short movie clips. I am not claiming these clips to be mine and I give the owners full acknowledgement when possible.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

divgradcurl

I am curious if I am breaking some type of copyright laws by posting short movie clips.
Well, although its technically copyright infringement, very likely what you are doing would fall under "fair use." So, you are probably okay.

One thing to remember, though -- "fair use" is a DEFENSE to a charge of copyright infringement, and not a "right" -- what this means is that you don't have the "right" to use the clips, but if you get dragged into court for infringement, the courts would likely find that your use of the copyrighted material was a "fair use" and therefore "excused."

Bascially what I am trying to say is, you are probably okay to use the clips, but if the copyright owner shows up and asks you to remove them, it's not worth it to fight them -- just take 'em down, and bring up the "fair use" argument if they try and extort money from you...

B

billydakid

Appreciate the Response

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have yet to be asked to remove anything from my site and would be more than happy to comply with any such requests. I do appreciate advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">