• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Staute of Limitations on parking summons in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amazon_b1tch

What is the name of your state? New York

I have four parking tickets that I've owed for about ten or eleven years. I haven't had the means to pay them until now because NY will not take payment plans from people owing less than $800 (what kind of stupid law is that?). Anyway, I felt that since they didn't want to set me up with a payment plan I couldn't pay them. Now I have the means to pay but I haven't gotten a notice from the Dept of Finance since last summer. I used to get them about every two or three months. I went on the DOF website and requested the amount I owe but I forgot the plate number they were on. I submitted all other information except the plate number. On the site it staes that they will contact me within ten business days and it has been eight so far. I am in the process of purchasing a Honda scooter and I just don't want to have any problems with this when I get the scooter.
Questions:
1) Since this was ten years ago would these tickets still need to be paid?
2) Would NYS DMV allow me to register a vehicle even though I owe money on parking tickes?
3) Usually they say that after you pay for tickets owed you should leave a copy of the receipt in the window for a few weeks. Since this is a scooter, if and when I do pay, how do I leave a copy of the receipt in the window when there is none?
4) If I park this scooter on my own property can they confiscate it by coming on my property?
5) If I get a notice from the DOF that I don't owe any money on parking tickets but then they find that this was a mistake and don't notify me and take my scooter anyway will the fact that they said I don't owe any money give me a leg to stand on? Since I contacted them first to see about paying them and they respond by saying I don't owe I think that would be reason enough that these tickets are a moot issue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">