• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Secondary Education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gml659

What is the name of your state? Washington.

My wife filed a summons for me to go back to court in front of a commissioner to have my Child Support Modified so I am forced to pay for my son's college.

(So we don't get into a moral debate I have been planning all along to VOLUNTARILY support him while in college....no problem).

He turns 18 on July 1st.

My ex-wife is under the impression that the commision will order plain old monthly child support ($750/mo. now) because he lives at home and will be going to college. In other words she will get to pocket the money and dole out to him what she thinks is appropriate ---- as she has done in the past.

I don't think it works this way. I think CHSUP as a monthly stipend to his mother stops and the Post Secondary format begins were I pay for only his schooling and secondary expenses either to the school or directly to him.

Who is right?

Secondly. How do these Commisions typically rule? Is there order just bare bones or do they lavishly bestow sums of money? How do they divide the PSE between the parents?

gml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">