• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not a Deadbeat Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bedrockpebbles

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?AL.

The divorce and child custody took place in Ohio in "97". I have paid my child support all along. Now the problem is that they have sent me my son back in Dec. of 2002, he was 16 at that time for me to straighten out. Well I have done all this and he will be graduating next spring and will be 18 come this Aug.

Now the problem is that the state of Ohio is still coming after me for child support and they do take my federal income tax refund and non of this monies is being returned to me by me ex husband. I have cried, screamed, talked till I'm blue in the face here. I have a notarized statement from the Ex stating that he is giving me custody of my son. I am told that until I can get back thru the courts I will continue paying child support to the ex until my son is out of college. I can't get a lawyer in the state of Ohio to even touch this case as my son is so close to 18. Any paper work I have sent to the courts trying to do a change of custody gets returned as the wording is wrong.

Also in the almost 2 yrs. since my son has lived with me I have received no help from his father in any kind of support. I support my son on my own with no help from the government or anything. As I am willing to work and make my way through this world. I have paid for all of his sports and drivers liscense and his truck and his insurance and the upkeep on this. If I ask his dad to help out little anything that might ease my load up a little, he all of sudden has to get off the phone.

Any suggestions or leading me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Pebbles in AL.

I have read all the earlier post's as to my situation and can't seem to find one female in my position here.

VeronicaGia

It has nothing to do with gender. You must get the court order changed by filing for a modification of custody and child support. Until you do, you will still owe all that money and your ex still has legal custody. They are taking your taxes because you still owe child support.

Nothing can change a court order except a new court order. Your notarized documents means nothing, and the court will not modify custody or support retroactively. This means that until you file, you are obligated to pay the support and your ex is not obligated to help you with anything.

Bedrockpebbles

Yes I understand I need to get this back in court to get a change of venue here, but how do I do this if I can't even get a lawyer to take this case because of my son's age?

I'm sorry I should have asked this the first time around.

VeronicaGia

Bedrockpebbles said:
Yes I understand I need to get this back in court to get a change of venue here, but how do I do this if I can't even get a lawyer to take this case because of my son's age?

I'm sorry I should have asked this the first time around.
If your ex is still on Ohio, you cannot change the venue. What you need to do first is get custody changed by a judge.

I don't understand why no lawyer will take the case, unless you're trying to get an attorney to help you in AL. Are you saying that no attorney in OH will represent you to file for a custody modification? What reasons have you been given?

Bedrockpebbles

Are you saying that no attorney in OH will represent you to file for a custody modification?
That is it exactly. I have been trying now for almost 2 yrs.. I have talked to 5 lawyers in Ohio and all 5 are refusing the case. The last lawyer finally told me why. It is because my son is almost of legal age there in Ohio and they know my Ex. husband and know that he will just draw this thing out and waste alot of their time and the courts and the judge's. I was told this past December and I guess I got tired off fighting the system. Now it is affecting my son as in it affects my income and they are taking away from him and what I am able to do for him.

I have talked to lawyers here in AL. but I have to find one who is liscensed to work in the state of Ohio. There are very few that are able too. Most are shocked that I am the one that is paying support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">