• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RX Filled incorrectly at Costco, do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laurie E

What is the name of your state? California. Last week Costco filled a prescription for me for Prednisone and gave me 20mg tabs instead of the 5mg tabs that the Doctor had prescribed. Without going into a lot of detail, this mistake had me taking 4 times the amount prescribed by the doctor, so instead of 40 mgs a day (5mg tab x8 every morning) I was taking 20 mg tabs x8 = 160 mgs a day and had already completed the first four days before the mistake was discovered. I have been suffering horribly in numerous ways from the effects of such a high dosage and it will take quite some time before the worst of the effects dimenish and I can only hope that there will be no permanent damage.

I was being prescribed this medicine because I was extremely ill with a severe allergic reaction to Bactrim DS. This has been a really awful experience, that could have cost someones life. Do I have any recourse?

ellencee

Laurie E
160mg of Prednisone every day for four days is a high dose, but not an unheard of dosage. It does not seem that you suffered significant damages for which a monetary award could be obtained in such an amount as to pay for a medmal suit. It would also be difficult to ascertain which symptoms belong to which process, ie. which are results of the infection? which are side-effects of your current antibiotic? which are results of the allergic reaction to Bactrim DS? which are results of other medications given for the allergic reaction to Bactrim DS (Prednisone 40mg qd po is not sufficient meds for a life-threatening (severe) reaction to a medication)? and which are due to the high dose of Prednisone received in error for four days?

If you suffered significant damages, please state these damages.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">