• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

modification of existing child support orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sisrenee

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas

i divorced in april 2004 at that time the judge ordered child support to be set at $1000.00 a month until may 2005 and at that time child support would be reduced to $800.00 if i came home to work instead on the road like now. i have been of work since end of may and there are no out of town jobs. i was offer a job locally and have decided to take it however it pays less than i would expect and what i would need to make in order to keep up with the $1000.00 a month. can i go in to have child support reduced the soon.

M

marisunshine

modification of support

not sure how it works in tx but in CA you can request a modification of child support by filing a motion with the court and a new income and expense declaration. Support is determined based on your income and ability to pay and proportional share in responsibility to pay for your child's expenses. hope that helps.

VeronicaGia

sisrenee said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas

i divorced in april 2004 at that time the judge ordered child support to be set at $1000.00 a month until may 2005 and at that time child support would be reduced to $800.00 if i came home to work instead on the road like now. i have been of work since end of may and there are no out of town jobs. i was offer a job locally and have decided to take it however it pays less than i would expect and what i would need to make in order to keep up with the $1000.00 a month. can i go in to have child support reduced the soon.
You should file for a modification based on a change in circumstances. However, were you laid off, fired or did you quit? In other words are you voluntarily unemployed/underemployed (fired, quit) or involuntarily (laid off, company closed, etc.)? This will be important to a judge. If you are involuntarily underemployed, be prepared to prove it to a judge. If you are voluntarily underemployed, a judge will likely impute income to you at your past wages since it's your own fault you lost the job. Judges can be picky that way, especially since your court order is so new.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">