• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this equitable??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanDoe

What is the name of your state? IL

I'll try to be as brief as possible, but I need to know if this is remotely "equitable" or not before my lawyer calls tomorrow. After my first 4-way conference (which ended without a settlement agreement, because of a ridiculous $2,000. my husband doesn't want me to have).

Here are the main facts, followed by the settlement offer yesterday:
1- My husband moved out ten months ago and filed for divorce about 6 months ago;

2- He has not worked for six years due to a back problem. I have always worked full-time, paid a larger percentage of the bills (this never mattered to me- we're married) and paid off his credit card debts multiple times during the marriage (7 years);

3- Recently, there was a death in his family and he has inherited at least $100,000. in cash and about $150,000. in real estate. He and a sibling are living in the house, which is paid off;

4- I have been paying our home's mortgage completely alone, including an additonal $2,700. for an escrow shortage that occurred after he left;

5- I have continued to pay the extra cost to cover him on my medical/dental insurance these last ten months;

6- Despite the fact that he continues to receive disability, I have seen him several times riding a bicycle, he attends rock concerts about once per week, which sometimes require standing for many hours, and he mows the grass at his new home (although he could never do this at our home).

Yesterday's Offer:
1- My child and I can stay in our home two more years, but I must make all payments, pay the taxes and repairs completely on my own;

2- After the two years, my husband will receive an additional $10,000. more than myself when our home is sold (the down payment we put on the house we bought after getting married), because it came from the sale of a home we lived in together previously (although we shared all bills equally in the previous home, it was only in his name). How can this be fair when we were married at the time of buying our 2nd house, which is in both of our names? My lawyer said "it's the law".

3- At the end of the two years, the home will be sold at which time, after my husband receives the $10,000. the remainder will be equally split;

4- I must agree to give up any right to our joint investment account (approx. $60,000). The money in this account was from his injury settlement.

While I am thrilled to be able to stay in the house a little longer, my husband will be making money off of me, coming out far ahead, with me footing all of the bills. However, according to his attorney, I am lucky to receive this offer because my husband is on disability and could ask for alimony!! From how he is living and enjoying life, I think it's time my husband got a job. How could that be fair, when he is living in another home, mortgage free, and has $100,000. in cash??!!! Even my own lawyer said I'm lucky I don't have to pay alimony! I feel like I'm being punished here. I don't feel comfortable taking this offer. Please give me any suggestions. I feel like I am being punished for being responsible, going to college and always working, doing everything around the house...for what?? I don't want to offend my lawyer, but should I get a second opinion?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">