• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a friend who has been on short term disability and now may
have to go on long term disability due to medical health conditions.
Her company had her on short term, but now she may have to go on
long term at the company which she has paid for in her benefits plan.
They just sent her about 8 pages of requested personal information to
determine if she can get the long term disability insurance benefits from
the company and their insurance carrier. She has three questions.
1. Should she see a lawer before responding to the paperwork sent to her?
2. Should she be appling for social security long term disability?
3. She can't currently do her job do to medical conditions, any advise
for her on what actions she should be taking, very poor and limited funds
for legal fees, any fee organizations to help her out?
Thanks!!!

BL

One can be eligible for Social security Disability if they meet the requirements,and If they can not work at ANY jobs of the types covered under SS , and they are determined they are or will be disabled for more than 12 months.

There are lawyers that will take SS cases for a third of the person applying, if they win.

But clearly if the disability is severe enough that the person can't work at all then with the Dr's. report they should be eligible . This takes time .

Have them Call SS Office to find out.

I would go ahead and answer the questions. It is most likely the normal procedure the CO. and Ins. CO fallow .

As for agencies that might help, look through your local phone book and ask around. IE: Legal aid . Legal referal Services , Sliding scale Lawyers firms .

ALawyer

Minor correction -- fee agreements used by most Social Security disability lawyers typically provide they will collect 25% of the BACK BENEFITbut not more than $5,200 (plus out nof pocket expenses) on a case. BUT they usually only take matters on a contingency basis where the claim for benefits has already been denied by Social Security.

Also, seeing a lawyer familiar with disability matters BEFORE filing the long term disability claim with the insurance company is usually very useful and cost effective; social security lawyers are ideal for that type of assistance and often reasonable to consult with. Lawyers help you marshall the evidence you need to establish disability -- typically doctors and hospital reports and tests -- and it is AMAZING how what the doctor says and the way a doctor writes the report can change the insurance company's decision. That is critical as suing insurance companies is expensive and difficult and involves delays.

violetb

I would fill out the papers myself. I also would go ahead and apply for Social Security. Be sure she makes it clear on all papers that she cannot do anything and is completely disabled.
If for some reason the disability insurance refuses her then I would look for a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">