• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat Belt Ticket, when wearing Seat Belt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zisu

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I'm 18 yrs old, almost 19.
Around 10:30am with no clouds in the sky and no trees to block the view, heading straight south, My mom was driving the car and I was seated on the right front passenger seat, while wearing my seat belt after coming from Downtown. As my mom was driving, I saw 2 cops on their motorcycle writing up a ticket on the right side of the street. About 4 blocks down the street, one of the 2 cops I saw approached the back of us and turned on that blue blinking light.

My mom pulled over and the officer standing on the driver side window telling me that I wasn't wearing my seat belt and saw me putting my seat belt on. I was wearing a black stripped t-shirt at the time. I told him "I was wearing my seat belt the whole time" and of course he didn't believe me. My mom was shocked and pretty mad. My drivers license was in my right back pocket and when he asked for I.D. I had to take off my seat belt in order to take it out, and that was the only time coming from Downtown that I didn't have my seat belt on. The officer wrote up a ticket and gave that YELLOW paper to my mom, me, and one for my dad who owned the car. (My dad wasn't in the car).
I think the fine is $80-$100 since this is a 1st for me. $80 is a lot of money considering I need that money to buy books for college.

I'm planing on contesting the ticket with my mom, but Do you believe the ticket will be waived off? If I win, do I need to pay expenses for the court? If I lose, how much do you think I'll have to pay for the court besides the ticket?

CdwJava

Its possible that you could win - especially if you can somehow convince the judge that the officer did not have a sufficient view of you due to his position. However, wearing your seatbelt does not count if you are not wearing it properly. The shoulder strap must be applied appropriately, etc.

From your description I am not sure WHO got the ticket? You and your mom? Just you? Who?

Either way, they are not big fine items ... but for an adult first offense you might expect to pay $150 or so after fees and other expenses tacked on.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">