• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket from private company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eeks2284

What is the name of your state? California

I got a ticket from a non-governmental non-police agency.. it's a private company called Parking Company of America.. they claim that the $25 fee is owed in 14 days and that my license plate has been recored and due to Cali Vehicle Code 22658, if I don't pay, the next time I don't pay in advance or adhere to posted instructions, my vehicle will be towed.. is this true or is this just a scare tactic to get me to pay.

CdwJava

Many of these companies operate public (i.e. city/county) parking lots. That means that they are essentially the agent for the city. And if they are, they CAN report your license plate to the DMV, a lien will be placed on your registration, and you will have to pony up a (potentially) much larger fine to include penalties and a civil assessment ... and it could also go to collections (and thus on your credit report).

And CVC 22658 permits them to remove your vehicle from the lot. It doesn't permit a privately owned and operated lot to collect fees.

But, even if it IS a privately owned/operated lot, they can still attempt to collect what you owe them, and they can STILL turn it over to collections ... how'd you like that nice assessment to wait in ambush on your credit report?

Bottom line is - if you parked there, pay up. If you don't ... well, you may well deserve what happens.

Carl

HomeGuru

eeks2284 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I got a ticket from a non-governmental non-police agency.. it's a private company called Parking Company of America.. they claim that the $25 fee is owed in 14 days and that my license plate has been recored and due to Cali Vehicle Code 22658, if I don't pay, the next time I don't pay in advance or adhere to posted instructions, my vehicle will be towed.. is this true or is this just a scare tactic to get me to pay.
**A: ignore the ticket and park in the lot again and see what happens.

H

Hate Parking

Ca;
I parked in a lot and recieved the same ticket. Ignoring the ticket seems like a bad idea, but I wonder what happens if you don't have a credit card and they try to report you?
They also have something that says that you can remit a reason for parking there other than: paid wrong slot, was going to pay upon return, parking attendent wasn't there, and other lame obvious excuses. I wonder, though, if anyone has gotten out of a private parking ticket, and what excuse you used?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">