• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP unemployed and pregnant and won't pay CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Missy In GA

What is the name of your state?GA

My husband has custody of his 10 yr old son and his ex is $10,100 behind in child support. She has a 2 yr old and is pregnant again. She does not work and hasn't since before the 2 yr old was born. She moved to another state 3 years old and hasn't seen our son since then. My husband suspended her visitation the last time she saw him because of safety issues.( She was drinking and driving with him in the car.) We wanted her to take us to court about the visitaion so we can address the child support at the same time. We are going to court at the end of the month.Does anyone know if because she is pregnant she's not responsible to pay the child support? Will the judge make her pay the arrears?
Thanks for any info you may have.

VeronicaGia

She is still responsible and will continue to be responsible. However, realize that judges are much harder on men then women, and it is doubtful the judge will make the poor pregnant woman go to jail or do anything that really forces her to pay. Doubtful, but no one can tell you what a judge will decide.

Your husband needs to keep taking her for contempt. He shouldn't have waited this long.

M

Missy In GA

I agree, my husband should have done something a long time ago. We have taken her to court twice since 1999 and it seems that it does no good. In 2001, the judge ordered that she pay $3600.00 in arrears and $200.00 per month even though she said she didn't have a job. He told her that $200.00 per month was based on minimum wage and she needed to find a job. Well she did find a job but they were paying her in cash and there was no paper trail. She hasn't filed taxes since she divorced my husband in 1996.We were hoping that since she moved away that she would stay away but I guess that's not the case. I feel that my stepson DOES need a relationship with her but I also feel that she has obligations to support him emotionally and financially. With her living over 12 hours away, I doubt that she is going to be able to see him very often but I think him seeing her will at least make him feel like she didn't abandon him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">