• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking on premises

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Interdish

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have recently moved into a condo in San Ramon. As I have a couple of cigarettes a day when I am at home I did so on my patio as I do not like smoking inside. The previous weekend one of my neighbors asked me to not smoke on my patio as it was blowing into their place. I apologized, extinquished my cigarette and went to my front patio which is around the corner. I have smoked on my front patio instead since then. The neighbors left me a letter stating I have continued to smoke on the patio (when I have not) and asked I smoke by the front door instead (which I have been doing). Mind you the maximum they would have to shut their windows is 30 minutes a day and they are siting they do not want to close them for 24 hours. They have also sited CC&R prohibit people from smoking on their patios. Is this true? I am trying to be respectful, but also feel I should be able to smoke on my own property. Especially as it is not often. He made a rude comment this past weekend and actually I haven't even been around the past few days when they are siting their complaint. What should I do? :confused:

HomeGuru

Interdish said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have recently moved into a condo in San Ramon. As I have a couple of cigarettes a day when I am at home I did so on my patio as I do not like smoking inside. The previous weekend one of my neighbors asked me to not smoke on my patio as it was blowing into their place. I apologized, extinquished my cigarette and went to my front patio which is around the corner. I have smoked on my front patio instead since then. The neighbors left me a letter stating I have continued to smoke on the patio (when I have not) and asked I smoke by the front door instead (which I have been doing). Mind you the maximum they would have to shut their windows is 30 minutes a day and they are siting they do not want to close them for 24 hours. They have also sited CC&R prohibit people from smoking on their patios. Is this true?

**A: how the hell should we know. Read your CC&R's and YOU tell us.
I am trying to be respectful, but also feel I should be able to smoke on my own property. Especially as it is not often. He made a rude comment this past weekend and actually I haven't even been around the past few days when they are siting their complaint. What should I do? :confused:
**A: see above.

I

Interdish

CC&R

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of them and am trying to find this information. I am a roommate and friend of the owner and he doesn't know anything about this either. Maybe it would have been better if I had asked where I can get hold of a copy of the CC&R as my research hasn't turned up anything.

HomeGuru

Interdish said:
Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of them and am trying to find this information. I am a roommate and friend of the owner and he doesn't know anything about this either. Maybe it would have been better if I had asked where I can get hold of a copy of the CC&R as my research hasn't turned up anything.

**A: then damnit, stop smoking on the premises until you find out the real truth. Ask the neighbor, call the resident Manager, Board of Director or HOA property management company........

D

dobiegal

Smoking...

The owner should have received a copy of the deed restrictions prior to or upon closing. While I don't know CA law, the same topic came up during a board meeting here in TX and the association was not allowed to request residents not smoke on the patios...it is not addressed in our restrictions, however.

HomeGuru

dobiegal said:
The owner should have received a copy of the deed restrictions prior to or upon closing. While I don't know CA law, the same topic came up during a board meeting here in TX and the association was not allowed to request residents not smoke on the patios...it is not addressed in our restrictions, however.
**A: smoke on the water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">