• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an easement/right of way be changed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spparker958

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

We share a driveway with our neighbors, we have a mutual right of way that was established when the houses were first built. Niether of us no longer have garages and our nieghbor has a second driveway on the other side of thier property. Can we eliminated the right of way and put up a fence along the property line?

jimmler

spparker958 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

We share a driveway with our neighbors, we have a mutual right of way that was established when the houses were first built. Niether of us no longer have garages and our nieghbor has a second driveway on the other side of thier property. Can we eliminated the right of way and put up a fence along the property line?
I think you could if both you and your neighbor are the only ones on the agreement, and you both agree to extinguish the easement (both sign the paperwork that a lawyer would have to write up, then you would have to get it recorded to get rid of the easement.)

You cannot get rid of the easement without all people involved agreeing and signing off on the paperwork.

Some one will correct me if I am wrong.

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying for 15 years.

nextwife

Jimmler, I have seen easements abandoned or relocated by mutual agreement. For example, a utility may agree with a developer who is assembling individual parcels and combining them, to vacate all the individual access easements and subsitute a single easement more appropriate to the current need. Yes, if all affected parties (including lienholders) agree and sign off, it can be done. Recorded, of course. This is even simpler, as no replacement easement or ROW would be needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">