• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed of travel on driveway easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OH

I own a home with a flag lot behind. The lot behind has a 1000 foot driveway easement through my property. I have no paperwork on this - it was set up by previous owners. I just have a survey with a demarcated "20' driveway easement".

The owner of the lot behind me has teenage guests/relatives who hotrod up and down the driveway - too fast I think to be driving through someone else's property. I have asked the offenders to slow down, but to no avail (now I think they do it to annoy me). Do I have any legal rights? Is there a "driveway speed limit" I can address with the owner? I plan on approaching her about the situation, but I'm not sure if she cares, or if she can "control" her guests, so I want to have my ducks in a row when I talk to her.

Also, she and her guests have on occasion used the driveway as a jogging path - not a big deal, except they jog with an unleashed dog. I have my own not-too-friendly dog (won't hurt people, but doesn't like other dogs). Fortunately my dogs haven't been out when her dog is, but I'm wondering what my standing is here to have her not bring her dog out on what is technically my property (I'm not too worried about liability, as I have insurance, but I really don't want her dog hurt).

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

FarmerJ

search on the words > speed bumps< using this sites search tab . youll get a number of postings that are related to your question .

nextwife

And until then, consider what we do when my child is scootering or skating in the driveway. We simply lay a couple lightweight 4 x 4 cedar posts across the width of the driveway at intervals, one closer to one side, one closer to the other. All it requires is that the car stop, move the timber for a minute, drive past the spot, get out and move it back. slowly drive to the next and repeat. It isn't "blocking the drive- even my six year old can easily move them in and out of place, they simply stop one from flying up the driveway. And stop one's kid from going past the timber into the street.

nextwife

OOH, how's this? A series of light ropes at fender level that they can stop and unlatch, with paint filled balloons tied to it (or honey filled). If they hot rod through, instead of stopping, the paint will burst all over the car.

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
OOH, how's this? A series of light ropes at fender level that they can stop and unlatch, with paint filled balloons tied to it (or honey filled). If they hot rod through, instead of stopping, the paint will burst all over the car.
**A: too calm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">