• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

canadian suing ny landlord for wrongful eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammie53

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Plattsburgh New York

I have been camping in a privatly owned campsite for 6 years. New people bought the camp in Feb of this year. In May I paid my rent for the season $880.00 2 weeks later he evicted me with no written notice.I had to demolish all my addition mover my trailer out, He told us that we were making noise. He didn't even believe the wittness we had...He didn't go through the proper channels to do the eviction..He yelled at me on June 4th saying that if there is anymore problems that he will give me a 2 week notice to get out.He later went to his office and wrote a letter of eviction on June 4th..In the contract he stated that he will give a written notice but he didn't do that...My biggest problem is I did nothing wrong and I have 3 people who will vouch for me because they were with me the night he said I was making all this noise...and one of the ladies told him he was wrong and said I heard what I heard...I have no idea why he is doing this to me .I have never had a problem befor he got there. My question is in small claims court will I be able to get back everything I lost ie: the addition we built, the deck we lost, the hotel and food expences, and the loss of enjoyment.

Thanks and any information will be greatful
sammie53

JETX

Your post is confusing as the facts are.... you were NOT evicted. Simply, the landlord gave you a notice to move..... and presumably you did. You had every right to stay as long as you felt the notice to move was NOT valid. Had you stayed, the landlord would have then been forced to take legal action..... and you could have explained your side to the court. Instead, you voluntarily left the premises.

As for any expenses you might have had in adding or removing your 'fixtures' (the addition and deck) from the property, those are not recoverable. In fact, the landlord could have a claim against you for removing them if they were in fact 'fixtures'.

As for the other 'losses' (hotel and food) they are also not recoverable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">