• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture Company asking me to pay full amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

axwack

What is the name of your state? NC

Hello Folks,

Maybe someone can help me. I purchased a furniture set from an online company, leatherlandusa.com. They are an established company in NC. I made the purchase in 8/03 and was told that it would take 2-4 months to get my furniture. I repeatedly called the company and never received my furniture. The company was always in contact with me and the website was always up so I ahd no reason to feel concerned.

I then get a call from the company saying they are ready to send me my furniture but they require the full amount from me. I paid them an original $1082. The owner tells me that the companies assets were purchaed but not the liabilities. I see my $1082 as an asset and the remaining $3082 as a deferred asset.

I want to get my money back. He tells me to dispute with the credit card but the card company said it was too long to return the monies and that I should find other means.

What can I do?

JETX

Your only option is to file a lawsuit against them. However, your post isn't clear but implies that the furniture company has changed hands, which will make your process much harder. For example, do you have ANYTHING in writing from anyone as to who actually has your money??? Did the new owner also purchase the liabities of the former??? Is the former owner (your seller) in business or have any assets to go after??

There are LOTS of things you need to clear up before you move forward.... or determine how to move forward.

A

axwack

I have the original contract that was signed by the company. It's the receipt. I also have the credit card run through charge.

There is no way for me to find out if the company actually changed hands. That's what the owner told me. However, when I called them this morning I asked the CSR what had happened to the old company. He said as far as he knew that company was still the same.

I don't know if the company was purchased, etc. This is what the owner has said to me. However, I beleive he should prove it to me? correct? Shouldn't he give me some documentation that shows there was a transfer of assets?

How can I find out if he hadn't purchased the liabilities?

A

axwack

Assets not Liabilities

If this owner did indeed purchase the assets of another company. Wouldn't my original deposit be considered an asset? Isn't the liability the difference of the purchase price?

JETX

Interesting, I was just starting to do some research into this company for you, and came across a website that you should look at. It is at:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg0500205215437.html

It appears (from their website registration) that they may not have 'new' owners as they stated:
Registrant:
Leather Land USA (LEATHERLANDUSA-DOM)
430 S. Main Street
High Point, NC 27260
US

Domain Name: LEATHERLANDUSA.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Leather Land USA (35507413O) [email protected]
430 S. Main Street
High Point, NC 27260
US
336-454-1955

Record expires on 17-Sep-2003.
Record created on 17-Sep-2000.
Database last updated on 19-Jun-2004 16:32:06 EDT.

--------------------------
The address shown above is for a place called "Atrium Furniture Mall". In reviewing the malls website (http://www.atriumfurniture.com/StoreMain.asp/) you can see that the store located there is actually "Leatherland" (without the USA). Click on the 'Leatherland' store in the mall map and it links you back to a 'Leatherland USA' website, further showing that they are one and the same.
-----------------------------

The above leads us to their REAL corporation name:
Leatherland, Inc.
Date Formed: 4/27/2000

Registered Agent
Agent Name: Cornelison, Robert M
Registered Office Address: 1209 Greensboro Rd, High Point NC 27260
Registered Mailing Address: 1209 Greensboro Rd, High Point NC 27260
Principal Office Address: No Address
Principal Mailing Address: No Address

And their 'Articles of Corporation' can be viewed at:
http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/imaging/Storage/1431064.pdf
-----------------------

The phone number shown above (336-454-1955) is also used by:
Carolina Furniture & Leather Clearance Inc
1209 Greensboro Rd
High Point, NC 27260
(336) 454-1955
--------------------------
Checking the state records for THAT business takes us to:
Corporation Names: Carolina Furniture & Leather, Inc.
Date Formed: 12/1/2000

Registered Agent: Cornelison, Robert Michael
Registered Office Address: 1010 Surret Drive, High Point NC 27260
Registered Mailing Address: 1010 Surret Drive, High Point NC 27260
Principal Office Address: 1010 Surret Drive, High Point NC 27260
Principal Mailing Address: No Address

NOTE: Same agent as Leatherland..... different address.

Their Articles and last annual report filing are at:
http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/soskb/Filings.asp?5294689#

Bottom line.... file a lawsuit in High Point, NC against Leatherland, Inc.

J

JULZZEE

Leatherland Nightmare

Hi,

I too was scammed by leatherland for almost 3000.00. I live in Staten Island, N.Y. , how do I go about filing a lawsuit against LEATHERLAND ?

JETX

JULZZEE said:
Hi,

I too was scammed by leatherland for almost 3000.00. I live in Staten Island, N.Y. , how do I go about filing a lawsuit against LEATHERLAND ?
Start by reading the information in this post. Then, if you have any questions, start your own thread.

J

jgaebelein

My wife & I also purchased an Elite furniture group from Leatherland USA 8/2003 that we never received. Leatherland USA attempted to bill us the balance in October 2003 - but when we did not receive the furniture in November 2003, we disputed the charge with American Express for the balance and it was returned in January 2004. In March 2004 we attempted to dispute the charge for the deposit made in August 2003. We were initially told that the dispute had to be made within 60 days of the charge. My wife called the Visa company and explained that we never received the merchandise and asked them to reconsider the dispute based on the Federal Trade Commission's Mail or Telephone Order Rule and the Fair Credit Billing Act. Visa entered the dispute and we finally received our deposit back June 2004. You may be able to ask the credit card company to reconsider.

Good Luck!

tc58

Leatherland scam

We are in NC and also ordered leather couches from Leatherland in Highpoint. We ordered our couches in October 2004 and paid them $2,653.60 and then the same amount over a month ago. We are hearing the same excuses as people have posted on these forums, and now we are getting worried about being scammed also. Did anyone on these forums ever get their furniture? We have contacted Leatherland many times by Email and phone and continuously are told that that are waiting for a shipping date. If this is happening alot, why not file a class action suit against them? Anyone with any info. on this, please respond.undefined

dallas702

If they are legit, they are probably having the furniture made in China. Obviously, that would take some time. It is possible that your first payment was considered a deposit for the furniture to be manufactured, and therefore may be non-refundable. Check your contract(s).

If they are scamming people, you all need to contact the NC Attorney General's office ASAP. Then, get a local TV station to do a consumer alert story on them. You'd be surprised at how bad PR can make companies tend to business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">