• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Sign Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legladvc

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Recently I received a traffic citation for a stop sign violation. I am a CDL driver with concerns about my driving record.
I plan to appeal the citation and plead guilty to the judge or magistrate hoping for a mercy finding in explaining I was unfamiliar with the road area and became distracted in failing to notice the stop sign.

Currently my driving record is clean.
Each year I am required to fill and sign a consent form allowing my employer access to my driving record.
I could pay the fine by mail but it would be recorded by the RMV and affect my insurance merit rating for the next six years.

Do Massachusetts judges consider a person's status with regard to driving history and employment when rendering a decision to a mistake such as this?

I am wondering if this effort is worth appearing in court.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

lwpat

"I plan to appeal the citation and plead guilty to the judge or magistrate hoping for a mercy finding in explaining I was unfamiliar with the road area and became distracted in failing to notice the stop sign."

Bad plan.

"Each year I am required to fill and sign a consent form allowing my employer access to my driving record."

Not only that but you are required to notify them upon conviction, not just at the end of the year. One ticket will not be a major problem, but another one in the next three years may place your job at risk.

"Do Massachusetts judges consider a person's status with regard to driving history and employment when rendering a decision to a mistake such as this?"

Depends on the judge.

"I am wondering if this effort is worth appearing in court."

Yes.
The officer is not required to be present in Mass. Try to see if the judge will
accept a deferment or reduce the violation to a non-moving. Deferments are no longer allowed for CDL drivers but some judges are ignoring the rule. Anything you can do to keep a ticket off your record is worth the effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">