• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

troubledgal

What is the name of your state?New York

Where can I get information on my lawyer? For example, where he/she went to school, how long he/she has been practicing, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help. :p

N

NYrescuer

Some ways to check

Of course, don't forget, just as doctors have to be mass murderers practicallly for any bad things to show up on a license search, it applies to lawyers also
(ie: Most malpractice cases are settled. Only cases where the trial went to court and the doctor lost will it show up. I took up a lawyer on charges and nothing happened...I just hope he does not drive under the influence the way he botched my case under the influence of major drugs...oh well, I learned that if HE could get through law school so could I, and now I am going. The money he lost on my case could have paid my three-year tuition, though.)

http://www.law4usa.org/check.htm (they make you fill out request and send it back)

http://portal.courts.state.ny.us/pls/portal30/INTERNETDB_DEV.RPT_ATTY_REG.SHOW_PARMS

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

troubledgal said:
What is the name of your state?New York

Where can I get information on my lawyer? For example, where he/she went to school, how long he/she has been practicing, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help. :p

My response:

Lawyers usually display their diplomas on their office wall. Ask to see them.

IAAL

cyana24

www.martindale.com is also a good site to look up - although not all lawyers choose to list their names with them, it is a good site to get started on a search. Many of the lawyers listed have their credentials listed and many choose to be peer reviewed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">