• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured looking at a house for sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cheermom16

I live in Missouri and was looking at a foreclosed house. We walked out on the deck with the realestate agent, which after going out the door had one more stair a few feet over that I didn't see; and I proceeded to fall down. My left foot twisted and we heard it crack. I thought maybe I would be okay if we put it up. However it started swelling and the pain got awful as we drove home so my mom had me call my health insurance company and after speeking with a nurse she said I should be seen in the E.R. I was diagnosed with a sprain left ankle, put in an air cast, told to use crutches stay off my foot for at least 2-3 days and that it would probably take up to 6 weeks. I had to pay my copay of $75 at the E.R. when I was seen and the fill 2 perscriptions. A friend of the family said I should see if the bank on the house should have to cover my copay of this bill? I don't want to get a lawyer just find out how to get my hospital bill paid? Thank you.

stephenk

"We walked out on the deck with the realestate agent, which after going out the door had one more stair a few feet over that I didn't see; and I proceeded to fall down."

How is the bank liable?

C

cheermom16

Missouri. I didn't state the bank was liable. I'm asking if there is a way for them to pay the bill. If someone fell on my deck myself or my homeowner policy would be liable. Since nobody lives in the house I figured there probably isn't a homeowner policy that would cover the hospital bill. So my question was should I ask the bank selling the house to pay the bill? Legally can I ask them to pay the bill?? Thank you.

JETX

cheermom16 said:
I'm asking if there is a way for them to pay the bill.
*** Of course you can certainly ask them to pay, but they have no obligation to do so.

If someone fell on my deck myself or my homeowner policy would be liable.
*** Common misconception.... but not true. The homeowner is not obligated to protect a person from their own clumsiness or actions. Only if the homeowner is somehow responsible for the hazard itself, usually on the theory of negligence (in removing the hazard).

So my question was should I ask the bank selling the house to pay the bill? Legally can I ask them to pay the bill?
*** No. Yes, you can ask.

Thank you.
*** You're welcome.

P

Paul_H

I'm no lawyer, but I would say this: If you would have any grounds to get reimbursement for injury from the homeowner if the house was inhabited (i.e., the step was irregularly spaced and there was no warning to look out for it, although I don't know if that would stand up in court), then I would think that you would have the same grounds, even if the home was owned by a bank. Whether the home is owned by the bank or a private person, I would think the owner is still liable for any injury.

Now, if it's your own clumsiness, you might have to chalk it up to experience. :(

M

meerkat3232

UMMM it's only $75.00

Is all your time and effort to collect this really worth it? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">