• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Ticket / 2 FTA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JayNC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have two tickets that I did not appear for, nor pay. I don't have any reason except my own stupidity at that time. I recieved a letter in the mail that told me my license was going to be revoked, I have not driven since. I am now in a financial sitaution where I can afford to attempt to get my license back.

I'm assuming I have two bench warrents out that will most likely be served while at court. I have contacted legal aid and they say I must go to court to get my records before they can properly review my case. But I don't want to go to court just to be thrown in jail. I am a single father and I cannot afford to be locked up. Even for a night or two.

What do you suggest I do?
Thank you in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JayNC said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have two tickets that I did not appear for, nor pay. I don't have any reason except my own stupidity at that time. I recieved a letter in the mail that told me my license was going to be revoked, I have not driven since. I am now in a financial sitaution where I can afford to attempt to get my license back.

I'm assuming I have two bench warrents out that will most likely be served while at court. I have contacted legal aid and they say I must go to court to get my records before they can properly review my case. But I don't want to go to court just to be thrown in jail. I am a single father and I cannot afford to be locked up. Even for a night or two.

What do you suggest I do?
Thank you in advance.

My response:

You're going to get locked up sooner or later. Either you go in voluntarily, or wait for a cop to question you, only to find out that you have warrants. In the latter case, you'll get a pair of bright and shiny bracelets!

You'll look good in a "day glow" jumpsuit, swinging a weed cutter!

IAAL

dequeendistress

Well, my first instinct is to say, YOU could have avoided this by simply appearing for the charges in the first place.

Do you mean that you have been ordered to appear in court or that you need to go up there to take care of these tickets or lose your license if you do not.

Were these simple moving violations or what was the nature of the tickets.

Can you not take with you the amounts to pay your fines and forego the jail.

Do NOT continue to make excuses as to why you are unable to be responsible and take care of this.

J

JayNC

dequeendistress said:
Do NOT continue to make excuses as to why you are unable to be responsible and take care of this.
I never made excuses. It is my own fault.
As for the rest. These happend over a year ago. I became homeless shortly after getting the ticket / loosing my job, ect. Like said, I am now in the situation where I can attempt to get it back.

Ticket One : Illegal Passing on double marked road.
Ticket Two : 45 in a 35 (they had just changed the speed on the road)

No, I am not able to take all the funds I will need to pay this off. I would either have to take a loan or pay in installments.

as I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said. I'm sure I will be arrested for this at one time or another. However I have not driven since I recieved that letter. I don't mind facing up to my punishment. But it would be much better if I didn't have to serve time.

Would it be better to attempt to get a limited license so I can travel to and from work?

Thank you for you're help thus far.

Last edited:

dequeendistress

Your self inflicted punishment of not driving is of no matter. If you think that just because you are not driving, hence not subject to a traffic stop resulting in arrest because of the FTA is going to make a difference it does NOT.

The authorities have a mailing address for you even though you must have just recently got a home again. You already stated you are a single parent, I can only hope that your child was not living on the street too.

YES what you have said ARE excuses.

Which you continue to make, the judge may allow for a time pay or even give you community service but you WILL end up in jail if you continue to behave like a child and NOT take responsibility for your actions.

J

JayNC

dequeendistress said:
Your self inflicted punishment of not driving is of no matter. If you think that just because you are not driving, hence not subject to a traffic stop resulting in arrest because of the FTA is going to make a difference it does NOT.

The authorities have a mailing address for you even though you must have just recently got a home again. You already stated you are a single parent, I can only hope that your child was not living on the street too.

YES what you have said ARE excuses.

Which you continue to make, the judge may allow for a time pay or even give you community service but you WILL end up in jail if you continue to behave like a child and NOT take responsibility for your actions.
No, she was not. Thank God.
Now that I've been told what I should do.. How about telling me how I should do it. As in, what department I need to contact, how I should explain my case and to whom, ect.

Thank You.

dequeendistress

JayNC said:
No, she was not. Thank God.
Now that I've been told what I should do.. How about telling me how I should do it. As in, what department I need to contact, how I should explain my case and to whom, ect.

Thank You.
Well do you still have your letter stating your license was going to be revoked, I am sure the agency was identified within the letter.

The court clerk for the jurisdiction in which you were ticketed will also be able to help.

lwpat

You need to contact the clerk of the court or courts and find out how much you owe on each ticket. Then have someone drive you to the court and explain your situation to the judge. He may be sympathetic and reduce the fine and or allow you to make payments.

If at all possible take the total amount of the fine with you in cash in case the judge does not buy any of your excuses. Even if you do not have the full amount you need to go talk to the judge as soon as possible. The longer you wait the worse it will look.

After you have paid the fines you will need to go to the DMV and have your license reinstated. The court will give you a letter to take to them.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lwpat said:
You need to contact the clerk of the court or courts and find out how much you owe on each ticket. Then have someone drive you to the court and explain your situation to the judge. He may be sympathetic and reduce the fine and or allow you to make payments.

If at all possible take the total amount of the fine with you in cash in case the judge does not buy any of your excuses. Even if you do not have the full amount you need to go talk to the judge as soon as possible. The longer you wait the worse it will look.

After you have paid the fines you will need to go to the DMV and have your license reinstated. The court will give you a letter to take to them.

My response:

Where are you getting this information? The only thing the "court clerk" can do is call an officer over, and take this idiot into custody - - to wait his turn to see a judge.

The guy has TWO warrants for his arrest. He's going to jail.

IAAL

dequeendistress

The court clerk can advise him how much the fines are and also may or may not instruct an officer.

Either way the issue would be resolved. Well we KNOW it would be resolved if he is placed under arrest. The other situation depends on if the offender indeed does take care of the issue.

J

JayNC

thank you for the information everyone.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE : I've looked through a large majority of you're posts.. Sometimes it's just better to not say anything if you have nothing usefull to say.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JayNC said:
thank you for the information everyone.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE : I've looked through a large majority of you're posts.. You must be perfect. Sometimes it's just better to not say anything if you have nothing usefull to say.

Thanks again everyone.

My response:

Wow!

You've looked through nearly 30,000 posts? Incredible!

The only reason I tell people "how bad ..." is because when they come here, they're usually looking for an excuse, or an escape from the wrongs they have committed.

In your case, you're looking for a way to stay out of jail. Now, you may not like my responses, but you'll also find out - - the hard way - - that I'm correct. I won't give you a namby-pamby response. I tell it like it is. And for you, "it is" going to jail. You seem to think there's a way for you, or anyone, to just walk away from your debts to society. That's not the way it works.

You will be going to jail as soon as you're caught. There's no way around it.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">