• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent needs advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debidavid

What is the name of your state? tx. My son-in-law was killed dec 26 2003 he and my daughter were having trouble and had been separted about 2 weeks they shared the two children (he was killed by a policeman while trying to break in the house his wife was staying at) well since my daughter continued to use drugs (the both didbefore he died) she was arrested for several drug charges now pending I have confinced her to let me have the kids while she gets straight, now the paternal grand has filed suit cause someone told her that she had a better case for wrongful death if she had the kids. my daughter signed the custody papers for me to go to court. But now the other grand wants all kinds of testing (phycological and home studies) does the other grand stand a chance she wants my daughter out of the kids life . i want her in their lives the kids love their mom, but the kids do need to stay somewhere while mom gets straight

D

debidavid

Thank you I was afraid of that since I know she wanted nothing to do with the kids before their father died (grandson told me they could only see her if someone else was there)

LdiJ

debidavid said:
What is the name of your state? tx. My son-in-law was killed dec 26 2003 he and my daughter were having trouble and had been separted about 2 weeks they shared the two children (he was killed by a policeman while trying to break in the house his wife was staying at) well since my daughter continued to use drugs (the both didbefore he died) she was arrested for several drug charges now pending I have confinced her to let me have the kids while she gets straight, now the paternal grand has filed suit cause someone told her that she had a better case for wrongful death if she had the kids. my daughter signed the custody papers for me to go to court. But now the other grand wants all kinds of testing (phycological and home studies) does the other grand stand a chance she wants my daughter out of the kids life . i want her in their lives the kids love their mom, but the kids do need to stay somewhere while mom gets straight
The other grands have the same legal standing that you have. You have an edge because your daughter wants you to have custody, however your daughter has some issues and if they can cast doubt on your supervisory ability they could win. Have you considered mediation? Possibly a shared custody arrangement? Talk to an attorney.

D

debidavid

Yes we have tried that and she would not settle for anything less than everyother weekend. the grandfathers on both sides(both sets of grandparents are divorced, so there are 4 sets of grandparents for these kids) are saying that leaves no time for any one else to see the kids. She still will not budge. My daughter has lived close to her husbands family for the past 9 years. I live 3 hours away from her. I feel that if they lived so close they should have seen the kids were in trouble and tried to get them help. I seen them in july and then again in Sept. and I could tell there was something wrong.(I tried the CPS route). So far she has come for the kids once, since someone else in the family has come to get them. The great-grandmother(the fathers grand) told me today that she can't afford to come get them so someone else has to.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">