• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How worth the effort is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sg1979

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I stay in Minneapolis suburb and I was coming back home from a picnic from Chippewa county. As the road (US 212) is single lane and very less traffic, for some time, I was driving above the limit and I was caught by a cop (I am not sure if she was a state trooper or a city cop or something) just before Chaska (Carver county). The speed limit was 55 and I was caught at 81. This is my first ticket but I did not mention that to her. As I was aware that I was driving above the limit and I was guilty, I agreed to it. :(
Court date is 26th July, 2004. Please advice if it would be worth to take 1 day off and go to court. The court would be atleast 50 miles away from here I think. What all benefit will I get from that? Also, advise what will I need to do in case I opt for court appearance and stuff as I am not much aware of the laws here. (I am comparitively new to US)
Also, how badly (in monetory terms) can it affect my insurance? I mean, how much % or $ would the insurance premium go up and will it affect only the next premium that I pay or even this.

lwpat

Minnesota offers a deferment program with a probation period of one year. It would be in your best interest to appear in court and try to negotiate for a deferment or a lower fine.

A speeding ticket will affect your insurance premiums for three years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">