• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eula100

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My driveway is also the right of way for a vacant property at the back of my property. The owner of the property never goes to his property or uses the right of way since there is nothing there but a wooded area.

However, every kid in the neighborhood rides motorbikes and four wheelers up and down my driveway so they can do wheelies coming down the hill and hitting the gravel.

I have asked all the kids to keep out. That got one kid's grandmother angry so now she puts four or five of her smallest grandchildren, all under 6 years old on a four wheeler and rides up and down my driveway. I told her on several occasions to keep out of my driveway. She replied that the neighbor who has the right of way gave her permission to ride there.

Is there anything I can do about this? Any help would be appreciated because I am being harrassed and provoked!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Eula100 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My driveway is also the right of way for a vacant property at the back of my property. The owner of the property never goes to his property or uses the right of way since there is nothing there but a wooded area.

However, every kid in the neighborhood rides motorbikes and four wheelers up and down my driveway so they can do wheelies coming down the hill and hitting the gravel.

I have asked all the kids to keep out. That got one kid's grandmother angry so now she puts four or five of her smallest grandchildren, all under 6 years old on a four wheeler and rides up and down my driveway. I told her on several occasions to keep out of my driveway. She replied that the neighbor who has the right of way gave her permission to ride there.

Is there anything I can do about this? Any help would be appreciated because I am being harrassed and provoked!

My response:

1. Roofing nails.

2. Install a locking gate.

3. Vietnamese Bungie Sticks.

4. Land mines.

5. Piano wire installed at neck height.

6. Borrow a Rap Recording Star's body guards for a day.

7. Shoot the grandmother.

Take your choice.

IAAL

P

pmr

My Sympathies

Wow. What you described is my worst nightmare. You have my sympathies. This is all off-the-cuff advice, but is more realistic than what the other posters provided:

1. Call the neighbor who owns the lot behind you. You can find this in your county records. Ask him if he gave permission, and if not, inform him you'll start reporting trespassers to the sheriff on his behalf (maybe ask for a letter from him?). If he DID give permission, ask him who his insurance company is so you can tell anyone who gets hurt doing wheelies who to call for their settlement check. And then go to 2 below:

2. Put up a LOCKED gate and send a key to the owner of the property behind you. As far as I know, you're not inhibiting his access as long as he can unlock the gate. It's unlikely that he'll make copies and send them to the neighborhood.

3. Call your insurance agent and see what she/he has to say. For liability reasons, maybe they will send letter to absentee owner asking for cease/desist of intruders.

4. Call your lawyer and see if there are any "quality of life" clauses you can enforce (doubtful, but possible)

5. Ask the lawyer about laws for letting small children ride motorized vehicles

6. Post no trespassing signs

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">