• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Monumentation outweigh Distance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle0128

What is the name of your state? NC
I am trying to determine if my Surveyor is correct.
Does Monumentation outweigh Distance?
If so what law or code states this or how can I find more info on this?

jimmler

Michelle0128 said:
What is the name of your state? NC
I am trying to determine if my Surveyor is correct.
Does Monumentation outweigh Distance?
If so what law or code states this or how can I find more info on this?
Yes, in almost all cases original monuments or called for monuments hold over previously recorded distances and bearings. The monument is the corner no matter what the distance between them is, unless that monument has been moved or tampered with, or set incorrectly in the first place. It is very common for a new survey to not match the old one exactly, mostly due to differences in older instruments and techniques that did not allow the measuring precision that today’s instruments do. The distances are basically so you can find the monuments (corners).

Here is a link to North Carolina land surveying laws, but they will not do you much good, they only deal with minimum accuracy standards and ethics. The board of surveyors that handles the licenses leaves the boundary decisions to the professionals.

http://www.ncbels.org/laws.htm

The board of registration tests surveyors on their knowledge of boundary law before they are licensed. In most states it is a 16 hour exam, and the surveyor can't take the test until they have had many years of experience or a combination of a degree and additional experience.

Here are some additional links that may be of interest.

http://www.flatsurv.com/geninfo.htm#different

http://pdh.biz/books.asp?o=1

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying for 15 years.

Edit - this is a very simplified answer, the variables that go into a boundary survey are much more complex.

Last edited:

jimmler

HomeGuru said:
OK, we give up. What is the first response that popped into your head?
Uh, trust your friggin surveyor you D A! They are the experts.
(Directed to original poster, not HG).

I didn't think that response would be professional, so please don't read this message. :D

HomeGuru

jimmler said:
Uh, trust your friggin surveyor you D A! They are the experts.
(Directed to original poster, not HG).

I didn't think that response would be professional, so please don't read this message. :D
**A: you're right. I did not read the message. Mu dog did and told me what you wrote.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">