• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant died without will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boothdp

I'm a landlord in New York State. My tenant recently died, and I believe he did not have a will. His brother, a convicted felon in prison, gave me a notarized letter authorizing his children (the tenant's neice and nephews) to remove the deceased's belongings from the rental house. The tenant also has an estranged sister in North Carolina. I need the belongings (there's very little) out of the house so I can prepare to rent it again. The rent is paid through the end of June. How should I proceed? Can I give the property to the brother, or do I need to track down the sister to see if she has interest in the belongings? Does a court need to appoint an administrator? What's the quickest way for me to get the stuff out, and not become involved in the family matters?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">