• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legalities of a cd duplication business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vp Premier

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi everyone, my name is Vishal and I am looking into starting a cd duplication. I cannot find any information on the legalities of this though. I am aware about ipr forms, intellectual property rights, but that is amongst the only information I can find.
One main thing that I am trying to get more information on is being held legal responsible for copyright infringement. Of course I would not duplicate 5,000 cd's of a major artist to an obvious bootlegger, but if some uses an 8 second sample 3 minutes into track 9 on their cd, how am I supposed to catch this and protect myself from any copyright or legal worries. Am I held responsible in this situation, should I be overly concerned about this or is the liability placed on the producer/band of that cd? Is there any other information I should be aware of or watch out for? I thank you in advance.

JETX

And what is the source of your original data/music??

If you are simply providing a copy service from the owners original media (CD, tape, etc.) or if you are simply providing a copy service for the copyright owners original product, then you shouldn't have any problem... other than a possible periodic lawsuit from a copyright holder.

However, if you are PROVIDING the original and then giving them a copy, potential big problem.

V

Vp Premier

I will be opening a duplication business and mainly duplicating cd's for independant artists with original work. My concern is if they have sample of a copyrighted song on their cd and I don't catch it am I still liable. The term "occasional lawsuit" doesn't make me rest easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">