• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother died and has no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mv7

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

My brother died suddenly in April leaving only six adult brothers and sisters. I now receive his mail and have found that he owned some assets, totalling less than $2000.
None of my siblings live in Georgia and I would like to know what the steps would be to have an executor named who could handle the disbursement of the few assets he had. Obviously we don't want to incur any legal costs as the estate is not large enough to pay them.
Is there some small estate procedure in Georgia law that would permit us to handle it ourselves?

Dandy Don

You need to be contacting the county courthouse probate court for whatever city he died in to ask if there is a special form/procedure for probating small estates and finding out what they consider to be the minimum amount of estate value to be considered a small estate. If you don't know to find that address and phone number, please mention here what city the death occurred in so I can look it up for you.

The filing fees will probably be minimum (a few hundred dollars) and this is probably something that one member of the family can do on their own without the services of an attorney.

M

mv7

He died in Cobb County, Georgia, although he lived in Haralson County.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">