• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aggressive Dogs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aryndar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Idaho
Aproximately 10 months ago, a renter moved next door, bringing his Rotweilers [male & female (w/2 pups)]. The tenent 'fenced' in the female against our fence-line. She was very aggressive and protective, charging and jumping against the fence. Called animal control because I feared for the safety of my kids and family, tenent was cited.
Well, over the last 10 months, we (and other neighbors) have contacted Animal Control many, many times, and the Tenent has paid fine after fine.
The Landlord told me over the phone once, that the Tenent was in violation of the lease agreement by having dogs on the property, and the Landlord stated that he would send a certified letter to the Tenent, telling him to remove the dogs. Two months later, (and another pregnacy, The Tenent runs a puppy mill) I still have overly aggressive, dangerous dogs living next to me and my family cannot go in the backyard without fearing for our lives.
My family has not been able to enjoy our back yard since the tenent moved in. Frequent nights of his dogs howling, his dogs charging the fence, causing damage (he ALWAYS blames my dogs, even when they're in the house, for the damage). Yesterday, the female Rot. charged the fence, partially broke through; My wife ran for her life. Boise Police stated there was nothing they could do because my wife was not injured (if she let the dog eat her, THEM I have a case).
Question: can I sue both the Landlord and the tenent for aggressive, dangerous, nuicence dogs, destruction of property,etc... in small claims court?
I fear for the safety of my family and I need guidance on how to proceed..

Help me...

Kevin

stephenk

Have you talked to anyone at Animal Control about what additional action can be taken against the dog owner? Contact your local City Attorney about having them file a public nuisance suit against the landlord and tenant.

Have you considered rat poison accidently ending up on the other side of the fence?

A

aryndar

yeah, Animal Control has their hands tied, they are as frustrated with the Tenent and his dogs as I, but until the dogs eat someone....

Animal control has been fieldong complaints about the Tenent and his dogs all over Ada county (while the tenent has lived in other homes, he's got ALOT of complaints)

Animal Control advised me to take the Landlord to Small Claims Court, but, do I have a case?...

C

CMA1

What condition is the home in? Are the dogs always outside, even in the rain? Is there shelter for them? Are they properly cared for? Is their home (other than where the dogs are) well kept? If the owner goes on vacation, is there someone watching the dogs? If they are running a puppy mill, are they licensed to be doing so? If the dogs aren't purebred, are the puppies fixed? The only reason why I ask, is because people who run puppy mills need to be licensed through the ASPCA (totally seperate from animal control). If you notice any of the things I listed as not healthy (something you would not raise a dog in), contact the ASPCA on teh national level if you have to. 99.9% of all puppy mills are horrible places where dogs are constantly contaminated with disease. Mills generally breed angry animals that make horrible pets. I would say, lie to them if you have to, but get the ASPCA involved. Animal Control can only do so much. Besides, rotwiellers are one of the types of dogs that insurance agencies refuse to insure a home with. If your land lord knows about this situation, ask him to evict those tenants before someone gets hurt. In Arizona, the landlord is liable for injury occurring to another party while it is on his property as long as he knows about the problem and does not do anything to remedy it. If that doesn't work, get a shotgun. Any animal organization would have to put them all to sleep anyway. Use it in case the rot gets through the fence next time (I assure you that she will) If all else fails, move. Do you really want to pay rent to a liverless man who won't evict a person who is breaking the lease and risking your family?

A

aryndar

I'm not a renter, I'm a homeowner, living by a renter (the aggressive dog owner)...

nextwife

Rat poison? Gee, it's not the dog's fault the owners haven't properly socialized them, and are keeping them outside in pens, unable to interact with people the way they should! These jerks give dog owners a bad name. Dogs aren naturally social creatures and isolating them in pens is inhumane.

In addition to the other legal remedies mentioned, consider putting a tall, SOLID fence just inside their fence, and surrounding your backyard, in case they do get out.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">