• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother Threatening!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JSTPEACHI

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Mom passed last week after many months of home hospice. My sister and I took care of her. My absent brother refused to make any appearances or call making my mom very unhappy. She had a will dividing everything between us but her banker told her she could avoid probate by making her account a P.O.D. She did making my sis and I beneficiaries. We did not inform brother when she died-He is threatening me today with a lawsuit (I am personal rep.) I'm scared what do I do now? :confused:

Dandy Don

Are there any other financial assets in this estate as to where the brother might be eligible to receive a share of whatever is left in the estate, which might calm him down a little bit?

Ignore the threats--he won't go through with it because he has no legal standing. Mother had the right to designate her assets in any way she wanted to.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

J

JSTPEACHI

Brother Still Threatening!!

Thankyou For Responding-i Just Received A Call From My Brothers High Powered Atty-he Left A Message Saying He Needs To Talk To Me About Some Questions He Has Concerning My Moms Death-do I Talk To Him?no There Are No Other Assets Just Her Savings And A Few Things On The Will. I Was Told The Pod Takes Precedence Over The Will. My Sister And I Were Going To Give Him 10%(8,000) But If He Continues To Harrass Me I Don't Know. I Have Shared No Info With Him-we Are Waiting For The Death Certificate To Sent To The Bank.

Dandy Don

You are under no obligation to talk to this attorney--he is undoubtedly going to try to grill you to get more information.

If he contacts you again, you can tantalize him with a tidbit by saying that brother will be receiving a portion of the estate at the right time, but please don't tell him it's going to be 10% (keep the amount secret until you mail brother the check). And before giving him the check, you may want to talk to a probate attorney about drafting a one-page agreement for brother to sign off on, stating that by receiving this check he gives up any rights to further sue or contest the estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">