• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second Opinion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanDoe

What is the name of your state? IL

I didn't receive any responses to my previous post, so I hope I am not annoying anyone writing again. It has been one week since my first four-way conference, which ended with no settlement agreement. My question is this:

Without offending my lawyer, is it possible to receive a "second opinion" from another lawyer regarding the next settlement offer I receive? The most difficult "sticking point" we have is with the house. Fortunately, there is no child custody battle, etc. I left the conference last week feeling like I was losing bigtime and helping to make my husband earn even more money. Has anyone ever heard of a lawyer charging a fee to review a settlement offer and providing advice? Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can of course take the settlement offer to another attorney for review. But yes, you will have to pay for his/her time and expertise.

JanDoe

IL

Thanks Stealth. Yes, I would definitely expect to pay. Do you (or anyone else here) know what would be a reasonable fee for such a service? I know it may be difficult to estimate. I live in the Chicagoland area. Attorney fees run at an approximate average of $225./hr/ $275./hr- court time. Thanks for the response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">