• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pityocamptes

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Yesterday my wife received a speeding ticket in Tucson, Arizona. Hopefully someone from here can give me some advice on how to handle the situation. According to her this is how it happened. She was driving down a major road (north south direction) at the posted speed of 40mph, she decided to make a right on a semi major road. She assumed the speed was still 40mph as all (most) west-east bound roads are also 40mph. She said she continued down this road for a block or two and noticed a motorcycle officer on her right hand side with a radar gun, he was about 50 feet away. She noticed that a speed limit sign was behind him about 75-100 feet, which read 30mph. Realizing she was doing 40mph she attempted to slow down but it was too late. The officer pulled her over and asked how fast she was going. She said 40mph. He told her she was doing 44ph in a 30mph zone. She asked if he would give her a warning since she has not had a ticket in over 20 years. The officer said no, he does not give warnings and issued her a ticket. I have yet to go out to the location and see if any speed signs were present immediately after the turn. If no signs are present and the officer was approx. 100 feet in front of the reduced speed limit sign does it look like she might be able to contest it? I would hate to lose and have her (our) insurance go up. Both of us have clean records. Any advice? I think traffic school is like $115.00 (more than I would like to spend - on a limited budget, as my wife is looking for work). Actually she was in a part of town she had not been to before attempting to locate a job - if this even matters... Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If there are no signs of the reduced speed, she may have a good argument in court. However, if the default speed for the type of neighborhood she was in (residential, commercial, etc.) was 30 MPH, she may note fare to well. But, even in CA, we have judges that won't convict on unposted speeds even when the default speed limit is 25 MPH (like in a residential area) and they intersect roads with greater limits.

Carl

P

pityocamptes

Thanks. Does anyone know at what point a posted speed limit sign comes into effect? Is it when you see it or at that physical point? Could this have bearing on this incident since the officer was in front of the sign by several yards? Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">