• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

did not know about child for ten years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unawarefather

What is the name of your state?wa, child in co
We desperatly need some advise asap. Last week we recieved a supeona from district attorney about this woman's claim that her 9 year old daughter was fathered by my husband. 10 years ago my husband was single in a band in Dallas and did take a couple groupies home but he swears he does not remember any one by this woman's name. Now we get this supeona last week and did what we were supposed to do, filled it out of couse denying he was father. Today we get court order to take a paternity test next week. We are just devasted by this. What if this is my husbands child. Can a woman wait ten years to tell a man something this important. Can we sue her for not telling him. Then what about this child? My husband is 47 and never had a child. He is completley devastated. Would this mean we would owe back child support also??? At this time my husband has been out of work for two months and we are living on my small disability check until he finds another job. We are two months behind on bills and I don't know where we will come up with child support let alone if we owe back also all our bills. Is this time for suicide or is there something else. I need to help my husband I am so scared. Please answer ASAP.

nextwife

The absolute first thing is to get an attorney and demand a DNA test. It IS entirely possible the child is not his, especially if she had a habit of chasing after musicians.

How long has he been disabled? Is he on SSD? If the child IS his by DNA, they will base the CS on HIS income (not yours). It is important to make certain to have an attorney so he is not imputed an unattainable income level. They may then ask for two years of tax returns.

Yes, it stinks, but women can withold the child for years and then show up, having removed from the father any possibility of being involved with that child during their formative years, and file for CS. Odds are, she was with someone during that time and has now broken up with them and needs the income.

If the child IS his, he should also file for a visiation schedule.

Most states only order CS from date of filing. So he may owe a chunk once there is a CS order, but it won't be from birth.

Last edited:
U

unawarefather

You misunderstood I think, I'm the one on disability, My husband is unemployed.
Did you mean they wo'nt demand back child support, just current, and what amounts do they ask for when there is no income for him at this time?

nextwife

They MAY imput his income to what they believe he could be making if employed, or base CS on Minimum wage. They will STILL likely order CS. BUt, if he is proven by DNA test to not be the father, it is a moot point. That's why requesting the test is so important. He should not miss any court dates and do NOT leave anything to be ordered by default for not acting.

That's why he needs an attorney. How long has he been unemployed?

U

unawarefather

We have dna test July 1, He has been unemployed 2 months, We have $2 in our checking account. I don't think a lawyer will even do this for that. Also this child lives in Colorado and I was told we have to go there to do anything.
We live in Washington that's to far to drive in a day.
What about any kind of visitation? Costs for this?
So many questions I'm sorry.
I tend to panic alot with my disease. I am just trying to help my poor husband. He is just so depressed about How something like this can happen to us at this time.

U

unawarefather

We have NEVER said we were unwilling to accept this child if it is my husbands. My hsband is the most honorable man I have ever met. I just had questions that is all. We were unable to have a child my husband is the one who always wanted one, all I have to say is that some B---ch can wait ten years to tell him is a nightmare to my husband myself and this child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">