• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription fraud and Online Pharmacies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babysmom

What is the name of your state? CA

I have been separated from the father of my 2 year old for a year. We have not formalized any custody arrangements, and have tried to work things out. He is an alcoholic and has had at least 3 DUIs that I know of and has been on house arrest on the bracelet twice. All this is over 7 years ago.

In the last 2 months, I have discovered that he has been ordering opiates from online pharmacies. He is lying about symptoms and shopping at different pharmacies. He has purchased 90 10MG Vicodin, 2MG Klonopin, Soma and Tramadol. He has also ordered 800 low dosage codeine pills from New Zealand, where they are considered OTC meds. He got into his Hotmail account here and must have saved the password, as I could get into his mail for about 2 weeks until his mother told him and he changed the password. I have printouts of FedEx proof of signature, and the actual orders. I have website names, as well as pharmacy names. I know the DEA is cracking down on these online pharmacies, but I am not sure what, if anything, I should do with my information. I have told him I can't allow unsupervised visits with our son while he is on any kind of drug, and that I am willing to let him visit at his mother's. He will fight me on this, but I am just not sure if I should pursue the drug thing or not. He claims he gave all the pills to his mother and that he isn't taking anything, but I know he is a liar.

I guess my question is, would the police or DEA be interested in any of the information I have? Can I make an anonymous tip? I am afraid for my safety if he ever found out I was responsible for him being arrested. I believe he is guilty of prescription fraud, and I also believe simple possession of Hydrocodone without a prescription is a crime as well.

n_and

Of course the police would be interested. And if it wasn't something they had jurisdiction over, they would pass it on to someone who does. You are right that it is a crime. You have your daughter to think about right now. Turn all of the stuff into the police, and explain to them why you are in fear of your life for doing this. I'm certain they will then provide you with a no-contact order. Then, if Baby's dad tries to come over, call you, anything -POP- he's where he belongs, in jail.

You also really need to get to a court house and get a custody order in place.

Good luck.

W

Who mE?

It sounds to me like your ex-husband has a chronic pain condition. Most of these "online pharmacies" work by having a doctor give a phone consultation with the customer, which is essentially the same as an in-office visit, over the phone. If you have not had a clear avenue of communication with your ex-husband for 2 years how do you know it is prescription fraud? How do you know he is not obtaining these medications for a legitimate disease or disorder? I'm sure this is the same question which a law enforcement agency would ask you, as they've probably dealt with many vengeful exes with an axe to grind. Unfortunately the most the law enforcement agencies could do would be investigate, but as the foreign sources are not exactly under jurisdiction, they are not likely to turn over their patient records. The american pharmacies only exist because they are legal in the state they are based in. If the DEA could legally shut them down, they would have done it already. If they wanted to know who all of the patients of these places are, they would just look at the outgoing mail from the source. They do not need the words of a snitch.

If if makes you feel any better about times past, none of these medications make the user's personality violent or agressive, unlike alcohol.

babysmom

I have spoken to him nearly every day and have tried to be amicable. He has health insurance, but hasn't been to a doctor in 10 years. He does NOT have a pain condition. I don't give a damn what he does to himself, and you are correct that those drugs would not make him violent, but they DO impair his ability to drive a vehicle, and I will NOT allow my son in a car with him.

Obviously, you have no experience with two year olds. You need all your wits about you to take care of one.

CdwJava

These on-line pharmacies ARE becoming a problem ... about the same as a patient going to multiple doctors for the same or different conditions to maximize their 'medication'. It is not uncommon for us to find a multitude of medications by a number of different doctors in the possession of someone who is abusing their medications.

It has become quite a problem ... not counting the sale of these medications to street users. At $20 a pill, it can be quite a lucrative business.

Carl

T

TalulaRae

Who mE? said:
It sounds to me like your ex-husband has a chronic pain condition. Most of these "online pharmacies" work by having a doctor give a phone consultation with the customer, which is essentially the same as an in-office visit, over the phone. If you have not had a clear avenue of communication with your ex-husband for 2 years how do you know it is prescription fraud? How do you know he is not obtaining these medications for a legitimate disease or disorder? I'm sure this is the same question which a law enforcement agency would ask you, as they've probably dealt with many vengeful exes with an axe to grind. Unfortunately the most the law enforcement agencies could do would be investigate, but as the foreign sources are not exactly under jurisdiction, they are not likely to turn over their patient records. The american pharmacies only exist because they are legal in the state they are based in. If the DEA could legally shut them down, they would have done it already. If they wanted to know who all of the patients of these places are, they would just look at the outgoing mail from the source. They do not need the words of a snitch.

If if makes you feel any better about times past, none of these medications make the user's personality violent or agressive, unlike alcohol.

Klonipin is an anticonvulsant, bensociazepine used to treat several types of epilepsy, panic disorders, Tourettes’s syndrome, some drug induced mania and a few other like disorders. The side effects are extreme drowsiness and unknown lapses in awareness. In other words: Sudden blackouts. Monitored dosage and administration of this drug must only be determined for each patient individually. In order for this drug to be used in the US it must be supervised on a bi-monthly basis where an office visit is required.

Vicodin is an opiate used for short-term pain relief or as a cough suppressant. After 5 to 7 days you need to be re-evaluated by a doctor. This is one of the single most over-used, addictive drugs on the market right now with a street value of about $10 sometimes even $20 a pill. Many heroin addicts use and/or sell this drug to maintain their habit.

Soma is a muscle relaxant, which after all these other medications I highly doubt the guy is in need of. It is sold on the streets, in high quantity, amongst speed and cocaine users who might need to come down every 2-3 weeks to go to court or a funeral.

Tramadol is another pain reliever. It is prescribed to patients who have pain and are prone to depression. You cannot safely take this drug with all these other drugs due to the increased probability of seizures.

You have made some statements that qualify you as an idiot. I cannot believe you would tell anyone that an over the phone consultation is the same as an office visit. It’s really hard to see the tracks on a guys arm over the phone, while he’s requesting an enormous amount of drugs. That is just an elementary example that maybe you could understand.

If you are trying to play devils advocate I’m afraid it isn’t relevant Regardless of how she feels about this man, it is her responsibility to protect her child and if she allows the child to go with a person who is taking drugs then she will be held accountable. DCS considers that a form of abuse, they call it neglect, especially now that she has proof of these prescriptions.

What a ridiculous post. What hole did you just climb out of?

W

WorldDemise

Leave that Man alone

I understand your point .. But leave that man alone. If he has a drug problem he will do enough damage to himself without you calling the police on him. I understand you dont want your child being around that. So just dont let him see his child untill he cleans up. Or if you really feel like being nice have supervised visits with him and your child. If he has a drug problem the police will not help him they will lock him up and make his life worse than it was before . Is that your intention ? If you want to help him try getting him to admit he has a problem and get him into rehab. From you post though it looks to me that you just want to see him go to jail ??

CdwJava

Sure ... let's enable the behavior - allow it to continue. Let him take more and more drugs, and rob from people ... and put people around him at risk. Why not?

Very often addicts do not get help until FORCED to get help. One often has to hit bottom before they realize that they have a problem at all. Sometimes, the cold hard reality of jail is what it takes. Sometimes it isn't.

But I don't have any sympathy for the guy. If he's fiddling with the system to get illegal prescription meds now, it will only get worse until he really screws someone.

I've seen it far too often.

Enabling will not work.

Carl

B

baitswitch

Time to formalize those custody arrangements !! Since you hacked into his account, and violated his privacy, all those documents may be inadmissible.
I assume he is not living with you. Those overseas online pharmacy websites all lead to a handfull of websites, most of which sell junk in fancy packaging.
DEA supposedly keeps track of the controlled substance purchases and prescriptions. To who said those substances wouldnt affect his personality, consider that those 800 codeine pills, he probably cooks out the acetaminophen and takes large doses. I'd say this fellow has serious mental health issues to be taking downers and alcohol. Fight for full custody with no visitation rights !!!

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">