• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a $ amount be taken from CS for higher education account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lancenlynne

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am wondering if anyone knows if it would be feasible to have a certain dollar amount taken from the CS and put into a college savings account.

I pay just over $800/mo for one child. I would like a portion of that to be put into a savings account for my childs higher education. My ex refuses to do this.

Has anyone heard of this being done?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lancenlynne said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am wondering if anyone knows if it would be feasible to have a certain dollar amount taken from the CS and put into a college savings account.

I pay just over $800/mo for one child. I would like a portion of that to be put into a savings account for my childs higher education. My ex refuses to do this.

Has anyone heard of this being done?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

My response:

Oh, it's been tried before, and it's always shot down. It's called "Child Support", not "Child College Fund". You want to put your kid into college? Then you save for it in some other fashion. But, that court order means "Child Support" - simple. Your ex-spouse is correct.

IAAL

L

lancenlynne

Well I would think that my child's mother would want to set aside a certain amount for the future of our child. It's not like she isn't supported, she is remarried and has good income. To me it is just a matter of her being a greedy selfish person.

By the way, I am saving the best I can for her education. Someone has too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">