• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked by police, fractured ribs, what can I do....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hello all,

This is a rather lengthy story, but I'm gonna try to keep it as short as possible, however, it is still gonna be pretty long.

My girlfriend and I were just about to leave our apartment last Wed night, when I had received a cell phone call from an old friend of mine (Greg) that I grew up with and hadn't seen in a very long time, he said he was in the neighborhood and wondered if I was gonna be home, and if so, he wanted to stop by to see me. I told him that we were just about to walk out the door for a bite to eat, but if he was near-by that I would just wait for him. He shows up a minute later, and after about a minute of greeting one another, I told him that we were planning to leave but he could come with us if he would like, ..he agreed to join us. As we were walking down the hall and out the security entrance of the apt. building, there was a man walking by on the outside of the security door, it looked like he'd just been running (..breathing hard and red cheeks) he was walking by the door but was rubber necking hard into the hallway of my building, and then suddenly he "V" lined walking straight toward me, and right on past me, ...this guy without saying one word proceeded to grab Gregs arm and was trying to force it behind his back, ...I was completey freaked out by what this guy was doing, ...I said, "Hey! What the he|| are you doing?" (I repeated it several times over) The only thing the man had said was directed at Greg, he said, "Don't try to fight it!"

JUST THEN, another man came from out of nowhere, had ran up to help the guy wrestle Greg to the ground, ..now I was even more freaked out by what was happening, I continued to walk toward them saying "Hey! What the f**k are you guys doing to him?" ...then suddenly, POWWW!!!! The guy had kicked me hard hitting me in the upper chest area, it was so hard that it resulted in fracturing two of my ribs. I flew backwards out of the entrance way where I now could see about 12 guys with bulletproof vests that said "POLICE" and "D.E.A." on the fronts of 'em, ...I was in a complete state of shock!!! They'd moreless ran up and tackled me, then slammed me into the concrete sidewalk face first, ..then handcuffed me!! I said, "Oh my god!! What the f**k is going on here, man?" They told me to shut up, and that they'd be with me in a minute. I layed there face first with two fractured ribs, as my forehead, nose, one elbow, and both knees were bleeding from the incident. I was extremely pissed off at this point, and justifiably so, ...I started yelling, demanding an explaination for this and for why I was being treated this way. After they dragged Greg off and put him into a city squad car, they then pulled me to my feet (..still in cuffs, and my girlfriend not cuffed but still laying face first on the ground) They started asking me if I had any drugs or needles on me as they were feeling around outside all of my pockets. The one guy grabbed ahold of my chapstick (from outside my pants pocket) asking me, "what is this?", ...I replied, "Does that pose as a threat to you???". Louder he says, "WHAT IS IT??? I said, "It's Chapstick!" ...again I asked, "Is that a threat to you?" He asked for I.D. and I told him what pocket my billfold was in. I kept asking them "Why the hell was I kicked in the chest???" and "Why the f**k was I standing there with possible broken ribs, as my forehead, nose, one elbow, and both my knees were bleeding???" They asked me how I knew Greg, and I told them that I had went to school with him all throughout Grade School, Jr. High, and High School, and that I knew not only just him, but that I also knew his entire family quite well, and I mentioned that he had called me about 20 minutes earlier from a cell phone, just totaly "outta the blue", and said he was only blocks away, ..I went on to tell them that I hadn't seen him for almost 2 years prior to then. I asked if I was under arrest, and if not, to please take the handcuffs off of me. They said, "Well, you just might be under arrest" ..so I had to ask, "What would I be arrested for, ...I did absolutely nothing wrong?", ..he told me "..how about Harboring a Fugitive, or Interference with Official Acts?" ...I asked how the hell was I supposed to know that he was a fugitive, and how did I interfere?? I made it very clear that what they had done to me was completely unwarranted, unjustified, and that it was complete BS, and that I would be filing a formal complaint against the agency and/or department for failure to announce who they were, ..which was basically the whole reason why that officer kicked me in the chest, ..hell, had I known that they were police officers, I most certainly wouldn't have been standing there all confused wondering why the hell these two guys were jumping my friend. Anyways, they asked me if I knew that he was carrying a hand gun earlier that day, or if I knew that he had eluded the authorities earlier that afternoon, at times pointing his car at police cruisers as if to bash into them, or if I knew that he had been cooking anhydrous ammonia to manufacture antihistamines, ...I was having a hard time with trying to believe and understand that what they were telling me must have been at least half way true, ..I was shocked to hear these allegations, as Greg was never the type of guy to carry a gun, or to try eluding the authorities, and he sure wasn't acting like he was on anything drug related, ..but what the hell did I know, I hadn't talked to him for a couple years, ..I do know that over time people do change, ..sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In any event, it became very apparent that Greg was in some very serious trouble, ..what a shame, because he really is/was an intelligent minded, bright, great natured, easy to like kind of guy, y'know.

Anyways, I went to the hospital and found out I had two fractured ribs, multiple scrape wounds, and a good sized knot on my forehead that was also an open wound. I know that it helps to hear both sides of a story like this, but what I have posted here, is exactly how it happened, I don't have anything to lose or gain by bending or spinning the story.

My question to you guys; ..just how should I pursue filing this complaint, and where would I go to do it. Any thoughts, tips, advise, or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sorry so long, ..there was a lot to tell.

Thanks a million!!!

Best Regards,
Barry

HomeGuru

Barry_Archer said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hello all,

This is a rather lengthy story, but I'm gonna try to keep it as short as possible, however, it is still gonna be pretty long.

My girlfriend and I were just about to leave our apartment last Wed night, when I had received a cell phone call from an old friend of mine (Greg) that I grew up with and hadn't seen in a very long time, he said he was in the neighborhood and wondered if I was gonna be home, and if so, he wanted to stop by to see me. I told him that we were just about to walk out the door for a bite to eat, but if he was near-by that I would just wait for him. He shows up a minute later, and after about a minute of greeting one another, I told him that we were planning to leave but he could come with us if he would like, ..he agreed to join us. As we were walking down the hall and out the security entrance of the apt. building, there was a man walking by on the outside of the security door, it looked like he'd just been running (..breathing hard and red cheeks) he was walking by the door but was rubber necking hard into the hallway of my building, and then suddenly he "V" lined walking straight toward me, and right on past me, ...this guy without saying one word proceeded to grab Gregs arm and was trying to force it behind his back, ...I was completey freaked out by what this guy was doing, ...I said, "Hey! What the he|| are you doing?" (I repeated it several times over) The only thing the man had said was directed at Greg, he said, "Don't try to fight it!"

JUST THEN, another man came from out of nowhere, had ran up to help the guy wrestle Greg to the ground, ..now I was even more freaked out by what was happening, I continued to walk toward them saying "Hey! What the f**k are you guys doing to him?" ...then suddenly, POWWW!!!! The guy had kicked me hard hitting me in the upper chest area, it was so hard that it resulted in fracturing two of my ribs. I flew backwards out of the entrance way where I now could see about 12 guys with bulletproof vests that said "POLICE" and "D.E.A." on the fronts of 'em, ...I was in a complete state of shock!!! They'd moreless ran up and tackled me, then slammed me into the concrete sidewalk face first, ..then handcuffed me!! I said, "Oh my god!! What the f**k is going on here, man?" They told me to shut up, and that they'd be with me in a minute. I layed there face first with two fractured ribs, as my forehead, nose, one elbow, and both knees were bleeding from the incident. I was extremely pissed off at this point, and justifiably so, ...I started yelling, demanding an explaination for this and for why I was being treated this way. After they dragged Greg off and put him into a city squad car, they then pulled me to my feet (..still in cuffs, and my girlfriend not cuffed but still laying face first on the ground) They started asking me if I had any drugs or needles on me as they were feeling around outside all of my pockets. The one guy grabbed ahold of my chapstick (from outside my pants pocket) asking me, "what is this?", ...I replied, "Does that pose as a threat to you???". Louder he says, "WHAT IS IT??? I said, "It's Chapstick!" ...again I asked, "Is that a threat to you?" He asked for I.D. and I told him what pocket my billfold was in. I kept asking them "Why the hell was I kicked in the chest???" and "Why the f**k was I standing there with possible broken ribs, as my forehead, nose, one elbow, and both my knees were bleeding???" They asked me how I knew Greg, and I told them that I had went to school with him all throughout Grade School, Jr. High, and High School, and that I knew not only just him, but that I also knew his entire family quite well, and I mentioned that he had called me about 20 minutes earlier from a cell phone, just totaly "outta the blue", and said he was only blocks away, ..I went on to tell them that I hadn't seen him for almost 2 years prior to then. I asked if I was under arrest, and if not, to please take the handcuffs off of me. They said, "Well, you just might be under arrest" ..so I had to ask, "What would I be arrested for, ...I did absolutely nothing wrong?", ..he told me "..how about Harboring a Fugitive, or Interference with Official Acts?" ...I asked how the hell was I supposed to know that he was a fugitive, and how did I interfere?? I made it very clear that what they had done to me was completely unwarranted, unjustified, and that it was complete BS, and that I would be filing a formal complaint against the agency and/or department for failure to announce who they were, ..which was basically the whole reason why that officer kicked me in the chest, ..hell, had I known that they were police officers, I most certainly wouldn't have been standing there all confused wondering why the hell these two guys were jumping my friend. Anyways, they asked me if I knew that he was carrying a hand gun earlier that day, or if I knew that he had eluded the authorities earlier that afternoon, at times pointing his car at police cruisers as if to bash into them, or if I knew that he had been cooking anhydrous ammonia to manufacture antihistamines, ...I was having a hard time with trying to believe and understand that what they were telling me must have been at least half way true, ..I was shocked to hear these allegations, as Greg was never the type of guy to carry a gun, or to try eluding the authorities, and he sure wasn't acting like he was on anything drug related, ..but what the hell did I know, I hadn't talked to him for a couple years, ..I do know that over time people do change, ..sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. In any event, it became very apparent that Greg was in some very serious trouble, ..what a shame, because he really is/was an intelligent minded, bright, great natured, easy to like kind of guy, y'know.

Anyways, I went to the hospital and found out I had two fractured ribs, multiple scrape wounds, and a good sized knot on my forehead that was also an open wound. I know that it helps to hear both sides of a story like this, but what I have posted here, is exactly how it happened, I don't have anything to lose or gain by bending or spinning the story.

My question to you guys; ..just how should I pursue filing this complaint, and where would I go to do it. Any thoughts, tips, advise, or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sorry so long, ..there was a lot to tell.

Thanks a million!!!

Best Regards,
Barry
**A: the posting instructions above were not followed.

Home Guru - Thanks for the response! However, I don't understand what you mean, could you please expand a little bit further on your comment. More specifically, in what regard were the posting instructions not followed? Also, where can I view the "posting instructions"? (..no sarcasm intended) I'm new here, and that was my first post so please bear with me. My intentions were not to go against the grain, nor did I intend to break any rules. If you were refering to the length of the post, I do apologize, however, I felt that it was very important to tell the whole story, and to lay down the events exactly as it went.

Basically, my biggest problems regarding all of what had happened that night, are listed below, and are somewhat simplified;

A) Being kicked (..hard enough to break 2 ribs) in the ribs was a lame thing to do, it could have easily been prevented if only one of the officers would've simply announced who they were, ..both guys were in plain clothes and wore nothing to symbolize that they were in fact police officers. I really was under the impression that these guys possibly had some kind of beef w/ him over a previous occurance (..maybe they were flipped off earlier, ..bookie collecting a debt, ...or cut off by a sudden lane change, who knows, many things could have happened) I'm not 100% certain, ...but I'm guessing that kicking people isn't quite considered to be a "standard of police procedures"

B) Being slammed (..face first) into the concrete sidewalk was uncalled for and completely unnecessary, ...again, had I only known that this was official police buisiness, and not a case of my friend being strong armed or mugged right in front of me, ...if they would've simply said, "Police, ..stand back" ...then hey, I certainly wouldn't have been standing there shouting "Hey, what the he|| are you doing to him??" To have been handcuffed laying down face first with 2 broken ribs, ..THEN, being lifted by officers pulling up on both arms (..exactly the wrong thing to do to someone with broken ribs) I'm disgusted at how these men conducted themselves, ...was unreasonable and unjustifiable use of force against an innocent person, ....very unprofessional.

I'm asking you all for advise with regards to what is the course of action that I must take to file a formal complaint???

Thanks!
Barry

HomeGuru

Barry_Archer said:
Home Guru - Thanks for the response! However, I don't understand what you mean, could you please expand a little bit further on your comment. More specifically, in what regard were the posting instructions not followed? Also, where can I view the "posting instructions"? (..no sarcasm intended) I'm new here, and that was my first post so please bear with me. My intentions were not to go against the grain, nor did I intend to break any rules. If you were refering to the length of the post, I do apologize, however, I felt that it was very important to tell the whole story, and to lay down the events exactly as it went.

Basically, my biggest problems regarding all of what had happened that night, are listed below, and are somewhat simplified;

A) Being kicked (..hard enough to break 2 ribs) in the ribs was a lame thing to do, it could have easily been prevented if only one of the officers would've simply announced who they were, ..both guys were in plain clothes and wore nothing to symbolize that they were in fact police officers. I really was under the impression that these guys possibly had some kind of beef w/ him over a previous occurance (..maybe they were flipped off earlier, ..bookie collecting a debt, ...or cut off by a sudden lane change, who knows, many things could have happened) I'm not 100% certain, ...but I'm guessing that kicking people isn't quite considered to be a "standard of police procedures"

B) Being slammed (..face first) into the concrete sidewalk was uncalled for and completely unnecessary, ...again, had I only known that this was official police buisiness, and not a case of my friend being strong armed or mugged right in front of me, ...if they would've simply said, "Police, ..stand back" ...then hey, I certainly wouldn't have been standing there shouting "Hey, what the he|| are you doing to him??" To have been handcuffed laying down face first with 2 broken ribs, ..THEN, being lifted by officers pulling up on both arms (..exactly the wrong thing to do to someone with broken ribs) I'm disgusted at how these men conducted themselves, ...was unreasonable and unjustifiable use of force against an innocent person, ....very unprofessional.

I'm asking you all for advise with regards to what is the course of action that I must take to file a formal complaint???

Thanks!
Barry
**A: posting instructions are at the top of the page.

HomeGuru said:
**A: posting instructions are at the top of the page.
In an effort to explain the situation to the best of my ability, I felt that it was important to add everything that was posted. In other words, if I would've came here and simply posted the following:

"I had been kicked in the chest by a police officer resulting in two broken ribs, ...what can I do now?"

...obviously this would only raise many questions with regard to what had happened and the sequel of events that had lead up to the point of when I was kicked. So to avoid having a potential mile long thread covering several pages, I chose to explain it with needed details. Surely this isn't all that complex or hard to understand, ...does that not make any sense??

Thanks again!
Barry

Last edited:
If possible, I was really hoping to get some advise and/or suggestions regarding this matter.

HomeGuru - Sorry for the long post. I had not previously noticed that there were posting guidelines, or that they were posted at the top of the home page. Please understand that I had no bad intentions of coming here and breaking the rules. I can only hope that you, as well as anyone else who might have wondered about this, ...hopefully all will understand the reasoning for my doing so.

I would like to get some informative responses though, ...please advise.

Much thanks in advance!!!!

Barry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">