• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with dead beat dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mark_nikki83

What is the name of your state? georgia

I live in Georgia and the father of my unborn lives in Florida. After I got pregnat he married his ex-girlfriend and now denies that this is his child. Like I wouldn't know who I slept with. I do not want him to have anything to do with us, but I want him to pay child support. I don't have any money so what do I do? I have tried to contact him but he changed his number the next day. He wouldn't even talk to me, said he had nothing to say to me. I am afraid to write him for fear his wife ripes it or that he won't read it. But the thing is I am dating someone who wants to put his name on the birth certificate. Will I still get child support without visitation or custody?

C

courtannez

Hi i have had experience with deadbeat dads. Listen, if you think he is the father and he says he isn't you can request a paternal dna test once the baby is born. he can be suppeonaed from the court of domestic relations to take the test. if he is the father he will be required by law to pay the child support. as far as the name goes, you could give the baby your last name...some advice, don't give the baby the new boyfriends last name, for your sake, and for domestic relations....better off with the real dads or yours.

nextwife

If there is NOT yet a child, he is not a deat beat dad. He owes you no support for a child not even born or proved to be his.

And he will have every right to request a paternity test - plenty of men have been duped into paying CS for children who turned out NOT to be theirs after taking the work of their GFs, even wives, that they were. He cannot KNOW this child is his with the same certainty you do.

And if you expect to put your BF on the birth certificate and deny the father any legal rights to the child YET legally establish paternity AND obtain CS, you are mistaken. Once you establish his paternity for CS he will have the rght to petition the court for legal custody and a visitation schedule. As the child gets older, such a schedule will likely have your child going out of state for periods of time with their father- if Dad later wishes this. If he gets joint legal custody, he will have a say in all major decisions involving the child you both made together. The court will decide whether he has "anything to do" with the child, not you, once you involve the system.

Last edited:

frylover

And IF at some point you marry your boyfriend and he wants to adopt the chld and IF the bio dad agrees and it all goes through nicely, bio dad will no longer have to pay support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There's a duplicate thread at https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=184330

My post from there:

It's not as easy as you'd like it to be. You would need to file for child support - expect that he will deny paternity and will demand to be tested. Once he's tested and shown to be the father, he will likely be ordered to pay support - if he chooses to file for visitation (whether it's now, in a year or in 10 years), he will likely get it as long as he is the legal father.

You cannot just put your current b/f's name on the birth certificate. You know he's not the father, and that would be considered fraud. Pretty much the only way to do it woul be for him to adopt the child. In order to do THAT, biodad would have to consent. If the adoption were to go through, biodad would no longer be liable for support - the legal dad would be. BUT, be aware that most states will not permit a b/f to adopt. You'd need to be married, generally for a period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">