• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Slayer

What is the name of your state? Hammond, Louisiana

I was called at work by a city police officer. He said he was at my appt complex and could I come speak with him. I met the officer and he said that an anonymous call was made to crime stoppers and it was reported that there was marijuana being smoked in my appt at sometime.
He said he would give me a choice of cooperating and letting him search my apt or he would go get a search warrant and his partner would stay with me and he would be right back. He said that if he had to do that he would arrest me and take me to jail if he found anything in my apartment. He said if I cooperated he would not arrest me even if I had some marijuana there. I agreed to cooperate and he then sent his partner to the car to get a form for me to sign. I allowed him to enter my appt and my bong and quarter bag were in plain view. He collected my stuff and wrote me 2 tickets. One for simple possession and one for possession of paraphernalia. Both are misdemeanors.
My question is what is with the crime stoppers call? Can they really get a warrant for an anonymous call? Should I have told him to go ahead and get a search warrant? I just don't want this to happen again. It seems that they would have needed to come when they got the call. Seems like i was lied to or the cops can invade my privacy because of a tip over a crimestoppers line. I don't think crimes are considered to be smoking marijuana in my house with the windows shut. Thanks in advance!

JETX

"My question is what is with the crime stoppers call?"
*** Sounds to me like one of your 'friends' fingered you.

"Can they really get a warrant for an anonymous call?"
*** Probably not.

"Should I have told him to go ahead and get a search warrant?"
*** More than likely.... since he would probably not had sufficient cause (depending on the FULL facts of the 'call') to get a warrant.

"I just don't want this to happen again."
*** Then don't smoke dope. And if you do, certainly don't leave it in the open!!

"It seems that they would have needed to come when they got the call."
*** Nope. There is no obligation for them to drop everything else they are doing and drop on by your place.

"Seems like i was lied to or the cops can invade my privacy because of a tip over a crimestoppers line."
*** Yep, they probably told you a little 'story'.... but it worked!! And is perfectly legal.

"I don't think crimes are considered to be smoking marijuana in my house with the windows shut."
*** And presumably, now you know that 'thinking' was in error.

"Thanks in advance!"
*** You're welcome!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Slayer said:
What is the name of your state? Hammond, Louisiana

I don't think crimes are considered to be smoking marijuana in my house with the windows shut.

My response:

I just LOVE the way bayou junkies and dopers think!

It's hilarious!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">